Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Sausage casing questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
parrothead600
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sausage casing questions

A couple of years ago I made a 25# batch of Venison Bratwurst. I used natural Whole Hog casings. I found that after soaking them in warm water for the recommended time, they were very easy to work with. Also I liked the fact that I could just twist the sausage into the desired length & cut it off at the twist & it would somewhat retain the shape without having to tie it off.
The thing that I did not like was the fact that I could not bite thru the casing, even after boiling the brats in beer. I am considering using collagen casings this time. Would this be a good idea or did do something wrong with the Natural casings the first time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I buy natural casings from a local meat market and I've never had a problem. They're a little tough, but I like prefer it that way. I've never tried collagen though.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i just did my first batch of italian sausage with natural casings from the local butcher and they didn't seem tough to me.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've only ever used Hog casings for both fresh and smoked sausage, never had a problem with toughness. Maybe the ones you got were really old...?

Sorry, can't help with the collagen casings either.

Quick Reply