Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Sauce for pulled pork?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
hamiltont
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's another twist for pork in the crockpot. Put the roast in the crockpot, add about a cup water and some black pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for about 2 hours. Mix a can or two of sauerkraut, a can of applesauce and about 1/4 cup brown sugar together & pour it over the pork roast. Cover and simmer until it's tender. MMMMMM! Darn good stuff!!! The sauerkraut sauce it excellent on mashed potatoes too. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #22
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Oh, I know, I just don't really have a proper smoker. The crock-pot method is also a lot easier to handle in the middle of winter when it's -15° outside.

Besides, the original post was looking for sauce ideas for crock-pot pork!
We certainly agreed on that! When it's -15° outside the only BBQ I am going to have is from a BBQ Joint. I don't mind the cooking in the cold on the egg but -15° is a little too extreme for me. At that temperature I am sipping homebrew in front of the fireplace.

Guy

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Oh, I know, I just don't really have a proper smoker. The crock-pot method is also a lot easier to handle in the middle of winter when it's -15° outside.
Granted,i live in the Mid-Atlantic. But I've smoked in the middle of winter and would rather do that on my Big Green Egg than babysat a crock-pot.

Not to belittle the crock-pot. My wife makes some incredible pulled beef in it. I just won't permit her to call it "BBQ"!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

... notice that I never once referred to the crock-potted pork as "BBQ," and in fact specifically used quotation marks when describing is as "pulled pork." It's not BBQ, it's good (damn good, the way I do it), but it ain't BBQ.

There's very little babysitting, anyway.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #25
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is my favorite BBQ sauce. I change a few things everytime I make it, but I love the base.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jbirds-Authentic-Sweet-Vinegar-BBQ-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Crock pot Pulled pork is just what I do in the winter when messing with the smoker is too darn hard. Even Crock Pot pulled pork is pretty good. not the same as a smoked shoulder, but very quick and easy and tasty. Did one last weekend and the wife made me buy another one this weekend. Just pulled the meat and ready to put some sauce together.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My favorite pulled pork is so easy. I season up a butt heavily with a spice blend from the store. I like Rub with Love: Chicken and Grill Masters: Pork. It sits in the fridge for a day or so like that. Then I throw the butt in the crock with a sliced onion and about half a head of garlic. Two bottles of stout and I forget about it. In the morning, I shred the pork and leave it in the crock without a lid until the liquid cooks down. No additional sauce needed.

Quick Reply