The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Sauce for pulled pork?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Wow, thanks for all the responses! It was too late this time. I had a fever friday night and all day Saturday and felt fine on Sunday, but was feeling pretty tired and sore again by the afternoon, so I just poured in a bottle of whatever we had and put mustard on top.

I think that link above was the one I was searching for and will have it printed out before I make Pulled Pork again. It was the Apple Cider Vinegar that I couldn't remember that I wanted to try. I don't have any, so I'll grab some tonight if I can remember to.

I poured a bottle of Sam Adams Winter Lager into the crock pot with the pork and it wasn't very good. I think it just had too much hops and stuff. I probably should have gone with my homebrew stout instead. Most everything else I have is also too hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Pork butt has too delicate a flavor to stand up to braising in roasty, hoppy, or otherwise strong flavored beer. Use apple cider, white wine, cider vinegar, or a very light beer instead. Dilute any of those liquids with a fair amount of water.

FWIW, Sam Adams Winter Lager is one of few beers I've ever poured out. It has a funk that I just can't get past. I highly doubt that cooking with it would tame that flavor.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

my buddy gave me a few skunked bottles of grolsch. i figured that they'd still be ok to cook with-wrong. that was pretty bad.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Pork butt has too delicate a flavor to stand up to braising in roasty, hoppy, or otherwise strong flavored beer. Use apple cider, white wine, cider vinegar, or a very light beer instead. Dilute any of those liquids with a fair amount of water.

FWIW, Sam Adams Winter Lager is one of few beers I've ever poured out. It has a funk that I just can't get past. I highly doubt that cooking with it would tame that flavor.
Yeah, I actually enjoy Winter Lager, but have learned to stay away from the hops when cooking. I didn't think it was that hoppy in a glass.

And I forgot the Dammed Apple Cider Vinegar last night! Luckily I can always pick it up at the store. I need to stop by on the way home since I ate the last of the chip dip that my little one bought chips for. I have to replace it before she finds out.

My wife had the pulled pork for lunch and dinner last night and I mentioned mixing some malt vinegar with it and topping with some mustard, but she said she liked it just the way it was. I guess it wasn't too bad after all then.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've used this sauce on smoked pork butt. It's not so much a BBQ sauce as a flavoring for the finished pork.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...or-pulled-pork

Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I love vinegar based BBQ. However, what I do is to put the "sauce" in a small bowl, and I dip the sandwich into it. That way the BREAD gets the sauce, but the meat stays the same way. Good pulled pork doesn't really need any sauce

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsists View Post
I always use a vinegar based sauce. Its amazing and super easy.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm up the vinegar on a stove until the sugar disolves and then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer. Put it in a clear ketchup bottle and apply it liberally to the pork before eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

We compete at BBQ competitions and through the years have found that it is not the smartest thing in the world to re-invent the wheel. At a competition we have found that we have a lot of things to worry about and don't want to waste time making a sauce when there are so many exceptional commercial sauces available. I swear that I have tasted them all. In competition I think you will find that a lot of teams use Blues Hog, Head Country and Smoking Guns on pork. These sauces have been tried and true by many competition teams. It would be next to impossible to concoct a sauce that is better than those mentioned above. Give them a try.

One more thing.....Consider smoking your pork shoulders. You loose so much flavor in a crock pot it is almost a sin. Try it one time, I bet you will love it. Just think of that yummy golden brown bark created by a good pork rub when smoking the shoulder. It's making my mouth water.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I make (IMHO) a really good crock-pot "pulled pork." I start by sauteing a bunch of onion and garlic, for a nice base. Never shy with those. I'll usually saute the pork, too, just to get it started and to add some color. I'll then cook the pork in the crockpot with a whole bunch of chopped apples (like, four or five apples, don't even bother removing the skin) and a ton of apple cider vinegar. Add a little store-bought BBQ sauce, salt, pepper.

Right before the pork starts to fall apart, I'll take it out and set it aside. Then, everything in the crockpot gets strained. I push it all through a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of all of the apple skins and anything else like that. Then, add back the pork and let it finish cooking until it starts falling apart.

Cooking the cider that long, it loses a lot of the real aggressive tang.

I know it's not a traditional way to make pulled pork, but it's pretty easy and it's damn tasty.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #19
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
I make (IMHO) a really good crock-pot "pulled pork." I start by sauteing a bunch of onion and garlic, for a nice base. Never shy with those. I'll usually saute the pork, too, just to get it started and to add some color. I'll then cook the pork in the crockpot with a whole bunch of chopped apples (like, four or five apples, don't even bother removing the skin) and a ton of apple cider vinegar. Add a little store-bought BBQ sauce, salt, pepper.

Right before the pork starts to fall apart, I'll take it out and set it aside. Then, everything in the crockpot gets strained. I push it all through a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of all of the apple skins and anything else like that. Then, add back the pork and let it finish cooking until it starts falling apart.

Cooking the cider that long, it loses a lot of the real aggressive tang.

I know it's not a traditional way to make pulled pork, but it's pretty easy and it's damn tasty.
I am not criticizing you. My feeling is to each his own. If you ever get the chance, try smoking your pork butt. The rub, when smoked, will create a beautiful bark and another layer of flavor. You will be rewarded for your efforts. I am sure your crock pot pulled pork is delicious but if you decide to give it a try and you will not be dissapointed. I can promise you that.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Oh, I know, I just don't really have a proper smoker. The crock-pot method is also a lot easier to handle in the middle of winter when it's -15° outside.

Besides, the original post was looking for sauce ideas for crock-pot pork!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply