Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Salami gone bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
facialhairtuesday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Salami gone bad?

Hey all-

I just made my first batch of salami a couple of days ago, and it's currently hanging to dry in a wine fridge I have, and the question I have is: how do I tell if it's gone bad? Or is it one of those things that you just know (like sour milk)? I don't think it is bad yet, I just want to be able to tell if it does turn out that way

Thanks all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Goblism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What style of salami did you make? What kind of cure did you use?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A lot of things would need to be known. What was the recipe and how is it being kept. Do you have it hanging? Is there airflow? Whats the temp and the humidity level? Did you check the ph before you hung it? What does it feel like when you squeeze it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
facialhairtuesday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used the recipe from Charcuterie (by Ruhlman) for the Tuscan Salami, which uses Instacure #2 and Bactoferm F-RM-52. I let it sit at room temp (per the instructions) for ~16hrs to let the culture start doing it's thing, and now I have it hanging in a wine fridge at ~60*F. I'm not sure what the pH was.

I don't think it's rotten, and so far, it looks salami-esque, which is a good sign, I'm just looking for some things to look out for just in case...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Goblism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

let it go and see what happens, have a homebrew with it once it is done and let us know how it turns out

Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by facialhairtuesday View Post
I used the recipe from Charcuterie (by Ruhlman) for the Tuscan Salami, which uses Instacure #2 and Bactoferm F-RM-52. I let it sit at room temp (per the instructions) for ~16hrs to let the culture start doing it's thing, and now I have it hanging in a wine fridge at ~60*F. I'm not sure what the pH was.

I don't think it's rotten, and so far, it looks salami-esque, which is a good sign, I'm just looking for some things to look out for just in case...
Did you read the entire section on dried and fermented sausages and not just the recipe? There is a ton of info you need to know that isn't in the recipe itself. Do you have any air flow through the fridge and do you have any clue what the humidity is in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
facialhairtuesday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Did you read the entire section on dried and fermented sausages and not just the recipe? There is a ton of info you need to know that isn't in the recipe itself. Do you have any air flow through the fridge and do you have any clue what the humidity is in it?
There is airflow (a fan cycles on and off to keep the temp stabilized) but I'm not positive about the humidity. I have a humidity gauge in my humidor that i can probably repurpose to see, though I haven't had time to do that yet.

I'll take a read through the rest of the section again, I did go through it once, but I probably skimmed over the important parts in my excitement to just start curing meat

Quick Reply