Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Ribs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1793 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The membrane wasn't a taste issue, it was more of a gumminess.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Like some of the other posters, spritzing them every half hour or so seems to be key in retaining moisture (but don't start this until the rub has formed a bark, usually 45 min to 1 hr into the smoke). I use 3 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Removing the membrane should fix that "gummy" texture. ~225F at ~1 hr per lb has always worked for me with spare ribs, and as stated earlier, using rub the night before is key. They should sit for at least 12 hours in the rub to ensure good flavor penetration. I usually rub them with mustard and then use a homemade dry rub on top of that. Taking them out of the refrigerator 30-45 mins before smoking will help keep the smoker at temperature when you add them.

Primary: Humulus Congestus

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Downdraught Imperial Stout, Barrel-Aged Residence Time Barleywine, Sea Smoke Porter

On Deck: Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout, S'more Porter, Barrel-Aged Residence Time Barleywine

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What was your process the last couple times? Temps, times, rubs, foil/no foil, added moisture, etc.?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Like some of the other posters, spritzing them every half hour or so seems to be key in retaining moisture (but don't start this until the rub has formed a bark, usually 45 min to 1 hr into the smoke). I use 3 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Removing the membrane should fix that "gummy" texture. ~225F at ~1 hr per lb has always worked for me with spare ribs, and as stated earlier, using rub the night before is key. They should sit for at least 12 hours in the rub to ensure good flavor penetration. I usually rub them with mustard and then use a homemade dry rub on top of that. Taking them out of the refrigerator 30-45 mins before smoking will help keep the smoker at temperature when you add them.
I have to admit I'm not a fan of basting often. I never baste my butts and I onyl sparingly baste my ribs. I like a good bark on my ribs.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think removing that membrane is very important. It creates a barrier to getting flavors into the meat. Use a dry paper towel when you grab one end of it and it will come right off.

Now smoking is best, but there are so many ways and types. For a winter, too damn cold to keep going outside rib, use your oven. I rub a common dry rub of brown sugar, paprika (I like spanish smoked best), garlic powder, cumin, adobo seasoning, dry mustard, pepper. Stack ribs and cover with two sheets of tin foil and make a big pouch leaving one end open. Put your pouch on a cookie sheet and let sit for a few hours in the fridge. Then pre-heat to 325F. Add 2 cups of broth or apple juice or a combo, and a shot of vinegar and seal foil up. Bake for 3 hours. Drain juice. I save a little and mix with BBQ sauce. Baste ribs and throw on direct grill for a few minutes each side. Just enough to get a little char.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1793 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I just rubbed them and ran them per Virtual Weber Bullet. Got lots of good info. Didn't do them this week cause of weather. Should be good to go wednesday though.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Avocet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Funny to see what type of wood people use depending on region. I always use grapefruit or orange if I can't get grapefruit wood on fish to pork to brisket.

As far as ribs-and I make 'em a lot-hard to pass on 3-2-1 system for smoking. About as idiot proof and delicious as anything I've ever used. And yes pull silver skin with paper towel. I use Emeril's with about 25% brown sugar added. I don't put sauce on till I get them to table. And I like a S. Carolina type mustard sauce.

Guy called Meathead has a site check him out good guy.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always take out the membrane and currently I'll use my favorite rub,and then do a layer of brown sugar. Let sit in fridge for an hour or so, and then throw on the smoker for 6 hours. At the 5th hour, I would sprinkle a bit more brown sugar. They've always came out moist and delicious, without the need of a sauce.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
cabron99
"Torcedor"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For pig-cicles only. Wash and pat dry, light rub with olive oil. Smear on yellow mustard, yes you read that right. You won't taste it. Sprinkle on garlic, black pepper, and almost any pork rub (I make my own). When that is good and rubbed in, spread on some black-strap molasses and rub that in. I like a fair amount.
Cook high over a red oak fire for about 2.5-3 hours. You won't believe it. Be careful with the black pepper, it will really come through.

Life is too short for cheap cigars

Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #20
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have done about ribs 10 - 15 tines, usually 3 -5 racks at a time on a weber Smokey mountain. I have access to both a 15 and 22 inch.

I have a basic recipe for a Kansas city style rub, basically brown sugar, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder, and cayenne or chipotle pepper powder. Membrane/no membrane I haven't tasted a difference after smoking the membrane should pull right off or come off while on the smoker.

I smoke mostly with hickory since that's all I can find easily.

I keep mine at 220 225 for around 4 hours and the gently pull away from the bone.

Quick Reply