Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Rabbit Sausage!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1463 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 932

Did you make round #2? How did they turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
RoughandReadyRanch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not yet. Well just went dry today. Worst heat wave I have been in here and I have no mister to help them survive. I am currently shuttling icepacks out as quick as I can freeze them and praying I don't loose all of them. Currently the heat wave has claimed 1 mom, 5 babies and without the mister that was keeping them semi cool I am thinking this is going to be the end of my rabbit breading days. Today is slated for 103F and tomorrow is 109F. Lack of insulation in our home has left us at a constant 86F inside with out ancient AC unit working overtime. Been a pretty $hitty week.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 3705

RRR, Sorry about your rabbits! That heat you all are getting is rediculous!

With ultralean wild meat, like others have already said - you must add fat! Pork, Beef, even schmaltz has been used. Try to keep the ratio at about 85% - 90% lean meat to 10% - 15% fat. We tend towards the leaner ratios.
We also go to the meat store intown and pick up bulk pork/beef/animal fat, it's pretty cheap.
Don't be afraid to experiment because in the vast majority of the test sausages, even the failures can be eaten or used in something else!

Vman, we tried the Bacon grease suggestion, when we experimented, we kept it and the meat very chilled while grinding and blending. And we did discover that you can have too much of a good thing in a couple of batches. Picture in your mind; sausage skins splitting, exploding bacon grease geysers! Ah, the early days of meat experiments! We now just use actual bacon, I like jowl bacon when I can get it for my sausages.
I am a bit of a bacon fanatic. (we need a BACON Smiley!)

Vman and Cg, I am a flytyer and experimented with marmot (body and tail) furs and I kind of like the buggy look it gives to my nymphs. It is not the greatest but for the cost of a .22 round, it is cheap. Marmot is basically Alaskan Rockchuck. Long and slow cooking with herbs and onions, carrots, taters and celery.

Cg, thanks for vote of sausage confidence! I am by no means a master as much I am a mad meat experimenter! Thankfully, my wife still lets me use the kitchen and still tries many of the meals I offer her.

tnoodle, I haven't tried adding pre made sausage before, heck, I never even thought of it but I may use that for some sausages later this year. A neat shortcut for flavoring some sausages - thanks.

SSBN 641 B
bgeek Likes This 

Quick Reply