Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Pork butt issue not all that tender

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Tenderness is a matter of heat and time. It takes time for that connective tissue to break down. If all we needed to do was get the internal temp to 200F we'd just throw it in an oven or hot smoker for an hour, but that won't work. I smoke my pork butts at about 250-275, takes 5 or 6 hours and the meat pulls away from the bone clean and easy.

I turned the last pork butt I bought into sausage!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Based on the information you provided, sounds like you should have had a couple perfectly smoked pork butts, just right for the pulling. The only 2 things I can offer up is 1) the pork was not ideal due to it being frozen after processing, thawed somewhat and frozen again before you bought it. 2) you have a cold spot in your smoker or an area blocked from the heat source you are not aware of.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So possibly lower and slower?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Here's my two cents! From what I've read you need to experiment with your equipment , just like brewing beer. It takes time to learn how long it takes depending on what your cooking, the weight, type, temp, smoke. In my opinion a 4# pork butt for nine hours is some dried out and tough meat. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #15
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3964 Times on 2432 Posts
Likes Given: 3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy4010 View Post
Yea. I let a couple of them go 18 hours a couple of weeks ago. About 10 hours at 150 (overnight), then the last 8 around 225. Those things were hard to take out of the smoker... they were completely falling apart. The bone fell right out.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Have you confirmed the accuracy of your thermometers? If not, you may not have hit the temps you thought you did = tough butt. Newbies are unaware that inaccurate instruments are a common problem. Check accuracy by placing them in boiling water (should read 212F/100C).

James

Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy4010 View Post
What type of smoker do you have? Low and slow is normally the way to smoke good meats.

I agree with the posts above recommending checking your thermometer. It may need calibrating. Also, I don't rely solely on the digital thermometer on my MES, as it has been off by as much as 15+ degrees.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1682 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1044

This may sound like blasphemy to a lot of folks but (no pun intended) we do the majority of our bbq sans thermometer. When the meat is done it's a feel thing to us. BigJohn is an incredible pit master and consistently puts out good results. We always wrap the meat in foil then in towels and let it relax in the cooler after coming off the smoker.
My take home message here... practice.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melana View Post
This may sound like blasphemy to a lot of folks but (no pun intended) we do the majority of our bbq sans thermometer. When the meat is done it's a feel thing to us. BigJohn is an incredible pit master and consistently puts out good results. We always wrap the meat in foil then in towels and let it relax in the cooler after coming off the smoker.
My take home message here... practice.
Completely follow you here. The more you do anything, the more it becomes second nature. I seldom need a thermometer, as I grew up with some kind of meat in a smoker.

Regarding the OP, a new smoker has been introduced. The only way to dial it on and learn how to smoke properly with it is by using a thermometer and running through the motions a dozen or so times. Just my $.02

Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1682 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
Completely follow you here. The more you do anything, the more it becomes second nature. I seldom need a thermometer, as I grew up with some kind of meat in a smoker.

Regarding the OP, a new smoker has been introduced. The only way to dial it on and learn how to smoke properly with it is by using a thermometer and running through the motions a dozen or so times. Just my $.02
I'm with you. It all comes down to practice... practice... practice...

Quick Reply