Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Pork butt issue not all that tender

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
benzy4010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pork butt issue not all that tender

So I've done two pork butts. They all seem a little tougher than I expected. It shredded for the most part but then it got to a point where it was more solid. I don't know if I'm being clear but I just recently bought my smoker. I followed threads and kept the temps right on an pulled the butts off at the right temps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy4010 View Post
So I've done two pork butts. They all seem a little tougher than I expected. It shredded for the most part but then it got to a point where it was more solid. I don't know if I'm being clear but I just recently bought my smoker. I followed threads and kept the temps right on an pulled the butts off at the right temps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What were the temps?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Easy question: did the bones pull out with no effort? Did you use a water pan?, and what were the temps you used?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
savannahbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Im not going to read through 130 page but I promise this is a fail-proof way to make some amazing pulled pork

go to about 15:37 in the video. I always cut into softball size pieces, do a strong dry rub and smoke about 215 for 3-4 hours and then put it in trays like this guy does. Seal the pan up real good with plastic wrap and foil and I usually though it in the oven on low for a few more. I use a ratio of about 3 beers (your choice) to one empty beer bottle full of water for 2 butts. It always is so moist and never had a complaint!!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

How long did you cook, and what size butt?

Temp doesn't always mean "tender". It means "done" in terms of meat temp. Depending on the thickness and size of the butts, you'll find that if you didn't cook long enough to render it down, that onces you get to the bottom middle, you will get a spot that is pretty tough, and doesn't pull.

You can cook them, and then rest them in a foil/towel/cooler combo, and it'll help. Or you can just go full crutch mode if you HAVE to have it that evening for dinner. Put it in a foil pan, add a little apple juice, and foil the butt up and put it back on your smoker/grill/etc at 250* and let it go for a couple of hours. You'll end up steaming it essentially and it'll help you make it more tender, but at the cost of the wonderful bark on the outside, and sometimes you can make the meat a bit mushy.

I've found that a 5-7 pound butt needs no less than 10 hours at 215 or so. 12 hours is ideal, and if you don't have much time, find the shortest butt possible, as that will help you overcome the stall as well I've found.

The bones should literally be about spit out from the meat when it's done. You should be able to but a BBQ glove on, pull the bone out with one hand, and smash the butt in a pan, and it come apart in strands. Pick out what larger clumps of fat remain, and you won't have much left but juicy buttery meat.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1106 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The butt needs to get to 195F at the deepest point before it will break down.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The butt needs to get to 195F at the deepest point before it will break down.
+1

I smoke at 225 degrees and can expect around 1.5 hours per pound of meat. Cook to the temp not the time. When you hit the 190-195 range, pull it and let it rest for at least 30 mins to 1 hour. Good luck on the next one.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Used a water pan, cooked at 250 and it came out pretty easy and was clean

Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It was around 4 lbs I believe it was about 9 hours

Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cooked it at 250 I believe. I have a thermapen and used that to get a reading of 195

Quick Reply