HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Pellet Grills To Replace Gas Grills?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
headbanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 732 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

Default Pellet Grills To Replace Gas Grills?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/129041939/...PBA-Show-Issue

It's eluded to briefly in this article but I've heard some pretty influencing discussion lately regarding the possibility of pellet grills virtually replacing gas grills in the not too distant future. If you've ever cooked on one or tasted the results it's not hard to see why.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 4114 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 3539

Hmmm, very interesting.

I get a lot of flavor from the hardwood chunk that I burn. I wonder what the pellets do for flavor.

What are those pellets made from?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
headbanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Hmmm, very interesting.

I get a lot of flavor from the hardwood chunk that I burn. I wonder what the pellets do for flavor.

What are those pellets made from?
The pellets are made from 100% hardwood, they impart the same flavor as a smoker would if you cook low and slow and less smoke on higher heat. The pellet grill I use will go from 170 to 900 degrees so I can smoke bbq with it or crank it all the way up and do wood fired pizza and anything in between, and it does a great job.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 4114 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 3539

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
The pellets are made from 100% hardwood, they impart the same flavor as a smoker would if you cook low and slow and less smoke on higher heat. The pellet grill I use will go from 170 to 900 degrees so I can smoke bbq with it or crank it all the way up and do wood fired pizza and anything in between, and it does a great job.
Very interesting. I'll look for them at my grill store next time I'm there.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
What kind do you have? I was looking at a Memphis at a local BBQ store, Really nice grill but the 2K price tag made it not look so nice. Of course it was automated, had a temp probe for the meat so it could cut the temp down when meat got done, and a fan to recirculate the heat/smoke.

Pellet grills are nice, but I don't see them replacing propane for the average user. Propane tanks are easy to store and there is nothing to clean up. Pellets while less than charcoal still have those issues.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
What kind do you have? I was looking at a Memphis at a local BBQ store, Really nice grill but the 2K price tag made it not look so nice. Of course it was automated, had a temp probe for the meat so it could cut the temp down when meat got done, and a fan to recirculate the heat/smoke.

Pellet grills are nice, but I don't see them replacing propane for the average user. Propane tanks are easy to store and there is nothing to clean up. Pellets while less than charcoal still have those issues.
I think pellets likely will continue to cut into the market for enthusiast but not for the average consumer. Most of my friends who have bbq's do so just to cook up burgers & dogs and maybe a steak here and there.. They have a $100 weber, or a $300 gasser. They don't care about smoking, or comp bbq or doing pizzas etc and they certainly don't want to have to think about pellets or hardwood or lump. They want to hook up the propane tank, or pile up some briquettes, soak em in lighter fluid and be on their way.

I looked at some pellets, and priced out the Yoders before buying my BGE.. the BGE was already a healthy chunk of change and the Yoders were at least 20% more.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Airplanedoc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I think pellets likely will continue to cut into the market for enthusiast but not for the average consumer. Most of my friends who have bbq's do so just to cook up burgers & dogs and maybe a steak here and there.. They have a $100 weber, or a $300 gasser. They don't care about smoking, or comp bbq or doing pizzas etc and they certainly don't want to have to think about pellets or hardwood or lump. They want to hook up the propane tank, or pile up some briquettes, soak em in lighter fluid and be on their way.
Propane tanks is too much hassle for me, I put mine on NG and hook it to the house. No way I would deal with pellets.

When I use my smoker I get Lump hardwood, or use some maple/hickory from the woods nearby.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
headbanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post

I have the FEPG500, it kicks serious butt and I would recommend it highly to anyone. Mine was right around 1500 shipped to my door, the Memphis grills are very well respected also.

I think you can get into a GMG for around 600 bucks now, Lowes and the big box stores are also selling char-grill pellet variants and the like now cheeper as well. About the only cleanup involved is vacuuming ash out of the fire pot.

Certainly not for everyone but, and this was kind of the point, pellet grills are becoming far more common and the prices are coming down too as more players get involved. Pellet ("cooking" pellet) prices will be falling dramatically in the near future as well I'd predict. You can already get 100% oak "heating" pellets for about 10 cents a pound, compared to a buck a pound for so called "cooking" pellets.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
mattmuir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a GMG pellet grill about a year ago and we used it very heavy. I started to add up the cost of pellets and was amazed. WAY more than propane. But, the taste vs the gasser is sooooo good. We than purchased a Primo ceramic grill and have not used the pellet since. I will use the pellet in the summer since the pellet use is not so bad when its hot. Cold weather nothing beats the Primo. Smoke flavor wise the lump burner does impart much more. If I could only have 1 it would be the Primo. Pellet vs gasser...I would choose the pellet.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I had the money for it, I'd love to get a Louisiana grill and/or a Big green egg.

I've heard very few complaints about either one.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Quick Reply