Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Nitrates/Nitrites in meat, Friend or Foe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4453 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Yoop, I feel for you on the cancer issues, my grandmother died as a result of it in her 60's, and my wife's aunt had a post-breast cancer relapse and has a few months left at best. Overall, my wifes side of the family is riddled with breast cancer deaths, Lisa works for a cancer center, and has realized that genetics play a HUGE roll in cancer cases, and that being proactive is the best course of action, she gets screened every year since age 30. I feel that diet is super important, and I grow most of my own produce as well, but there is a point where it just gets ridiculous, all of these studies, and the fact that almost everything is known to cause cancer in the state of California makes me think that the state of CA is the root cause of cancer, not the items themselves.
Good point! I agree, for the most part.

As this point in my life, though, I realize that we are bombarded everyday with things beyond our control. Radiowaves, preservatives, GMO food, antiobiotics in grocery store chicken, "high fructose corn syrup" in everything processed, etc.

When I make sausge I CAN control the ingredients and not using nitrates, even though it makes tasty sausage, is something I can do. I also do not eat any processed meat- I haven't had a bologna sandwich in at least 30 years. I'm certainly not a vegan, and I can venison. I see canning as a good alternative to curing. Preserving food interests me- I'm just not sure I can let go of my fear of unnecessary additives like nitrites. I know that it's tasty, and it's a small part of any diet. I have to weigh the benefits (a good tasting sausage) against the risks, and I can't see a reason to use nitrites at this point if an alternative is possible. And from what I can see, refrigeration and freezer is possible for the preservative part.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
I use Morton's Quick Cure
Where do you get it?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I buy it right off mortonsalt.com, I used to get curing salts from our butcher in WI, but since moving out to AZ I just order direct from the manufacturer. I buy the "tender quick" curing salt.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
Bender

Recipes 

Quote:
I buy it right off mortonsalt.com, I used to get curing salts from our butcher in WI, but since moving out to AZ I just order direct from the manufacturer. I buy the "tender quick" curing salt.
Thanks. Back when I used to hunt in upstate NY this stuff was at every corner store. Not so much in NJ.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #15
Bender

Recipes 

Quote:
Now I remember why I haven't mail ordered this stuff. $5.00 for 2 lb of salt and $10 for shipping.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
no. you can go read whatever else interests you. I find this interesting.
Hey, I didn't say I won't read the 92 pages. I was just joking about the fact that It'll probably get to that.

Moose

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post
Hey, I didn't say I won't read the 92 pages. I was just joking about the fact that It'll probably get to that.

Moose
That is the truly sad commentary on the two of us.

So yoop, what is wrong with high fructose corn syrup? The ad I saw on TV said that it was the same as cane sugar. That must be tru, right?
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
That is the truly sad commentary on the two of us.

So yoop, what is wrong with high fructose corn syrup? The ad I saw on TV said that it was the same as cane sugar. That must be tru, right?
ha, thats a debate for another forum!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Good point! I agree, for the most part.

As this point in my life, though, I realize that we are bombarded everyday with things beyond our control. Radiowaves, preservatives, GMO food, antiobiotics in grocery store chicken, "high fructose corn syrup" in everything processed, etc.

When I make sausge I CAN control the ingredients and not using nitrates, even though it makes tasty sausage, is something I can do. I also do not eat any processed meat- I haven't had a bologna sandwich in at least 30 years. I'm certainly not a vegan, and I can venison. I see canning as a good alternative to curing. Preserving food interests me- I'm just not sure I can let go of my fear of unnecessary additives like nitrites. I know that it's tasty, and it's a small part of any diet. I have to weigh the benefits (a good tasting sausage) against the risks, and I can't see a reason to use nitrites at this point if an alternative is possible. And from what I can see, refrigeration and freezer is possible for the preservative part.
Ok, so maybe I'm confused or maybe a bit thick or a bit of both, dunno

I made Chef's recipe for pepperoni last evening. It's in my fridge at the moment. The recipe contained no nitrates. Have I elevated my risk of botulism by not including nitrates as part of the recipe? Just a bit confused after reading Ed's post.

Sorry, Complete noob here. This is my first venture into sausage making. I used the search tool, honest injun

Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Ok, so maybe I'm confused or maybe a bit thick or a bit of both, dunno

I made Chef's recipe for pepperoni last evening. It's in my fridge at the moment. The recipe contained no nitrates. Have I elevated my risk of botulism by not including nitrates as part of the recipe? Just a bit confused after reading Ed's post.

Sorry, Complete noob here. This is my first venture into sausage making. I used the search tool, honest injun
Not at all. The key avoiding botulism is keeping the meat very cold for all processing prior to cooking, and then cooking at above 170*F. Since Chefmikes recipe cooks at 200*F, you should be just fine. Of course the same caveats apply here as in brewing - use proper sanitation and temperature control.

Meat should be partially frozen when grinding to avoid the heat of the grinder causing spoilage, then depending on batch size and how you will be mixing, mix in some crushed ice or keep it on ice. For a small, quickly mixed recipe like Chefmike's I wouldn't worry about the ice.

If you're smoking,cooking,or curing below 170*F, then you'll need to add nitrite,nitrate or other curing agents.

Moose

Quick Reply