Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > New Weber Smokey Mountain, Inaugural Smoke (with pictures)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Hawaiianbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Weber Smokey Mountain, Inaugural Smoke (with pictures)

I ordered the 18.5 wsm well over a month ago through the only weber dealer on our island. Thinking that its just the wife and kid and I am new to this, I couldn't justify the need for the larger one and I was really concerned about the fuel usage and extra cost if I was only smoking small amounts. After delay after delay, the dude offered me his only remaining 22.5 floor model at cost this weekend, or I could wait possibly 2 more weeks for the smaller to come in. It was $20 more than retail of the smaller one, obviously a no-brainer! Now I'm a proud new WSM owner. Broke her in with some ribs and chicken and beans yesterday and after putting everything on, I am so happy with the decision to go larger. Everything turned out even better than I expected too. Wife is for once happy with a "hobby purchase (investment " I made and raved about the meal all night and even as she was making her lunch for today. I just found a dangerous new hobby boys! This is AWESOME!

photo-13-.jpg   photo-12-.jpg   photo-8-.jpg   photo-10-.jpg   photo-9-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Flyin1500
Nationwide beer taster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

awesome dude! virtualweberbullet.com is a fantastic resource for your new toy! Cheers!

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
Primary: EdWorts Apfelwein
Primary: Pliny Clone
Primary: Haus Pale Ale
Secondary: Hopped up IPA 2
Keg: Hopped UP IPA (my first all grain)

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Those work pretty good.

There is a ton of nifty gadgets like automatic temperature controls, and all sorts of tips and tricks you can find for using them.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I am a smoked chicken junky. I got into my gas grill for too long, then I switched back to the smoker and knew what I had been missing. Wow you got that smoker for a good price, way to go!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just awesome dude! I got a 18.5 inch model back this summer, and have been using the hell out of it. It just requires so little maintenance.

I did a 7lb pork shoulder with hickory chunks for the smoke the other week, and never had to change charcoal for the entire 9hrs. I used the Minion method. If you haven't already, check out virtualweberbullet.com . There's a whole forum/community dedicated to this bad boy!

Happy smoking!

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Hawaiianbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice! Used virtualweberbullet.com for a lot of pre-purchase info and comparisons between the two sizes. I agree, so much helpful info on there.

Just bought a bunch of turkeys (read 6) from the local market selling them for $4.88 for 14-16lb birds, limit 2 a day for a week. I went to town. This thing will get some good use real soon. I'll try to post a picture of this thing loaded up if its a success.

Quick Reply