The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > A NEW Smoker!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
springer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

dont rely on the factory temp gauge for the temps use a digital with a probe. I have been smoking for years. I just do a dry rub (generic) let it sit overnight in the fridge.I let the meat warm to room temp before putting on the smoker. Smoke heavy for the first few hours then no more wood after a few hours the bark stops any smoke from entering the meat anyway.I also spray the the meat with a mix of garlic oil, apple cider vinegar and some dark beer every hour or so. I turn the brisket about 3/4s of the way to done the with about 2 hours left I wrap it up in aluminum and finish it.

Very important you must let the meat rest so the meat can absorb its own juice.If you cut it too soon the juices will just flow onto the plate.I use a cooler to let the meat rest an hour or so don't worry its still plenty hot

One brisket I have the butcher leave the fat on it and three racks of baby backs

cut up

ribs

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

My buddy writes a pretty decent blog using that smoker. Check it out. He has some good tips.

http://smokersdepot.blogspot.com/

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
Olive Drab
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I thiught youhad the other brinkman smoker with the side firebox. Vertical smokers are probably a tad easier to control temps. If yours has a water pan, that will aid in stabilization but again, its roasting meat not brain surgery so dont worry too much.
In lieu of brisket give chuck roast your first beef attempt. Its forgiving like a pork butt.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I got the same smoker for Christmas last year. I bought a book called "Low and Slow: Mastering the Art of Barbecue in Five Easy Lessons" by Gary Wiviott. Good read, and has lots of good recipes. It taught me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Last edited by homebeerbrewer; 07-04-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: correcting book title.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't want to wrap them first. The meat will only take on smoke until 140 degrees or so, so you want to leave it unwraped to begin. Most people wrap around 170 or so to speed up the process to final temp.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

BTW, here's my smoker.

image-656814047.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yuppers, that looks just like mine, Homebeerbrewer, except mine is black!

We "pulled" the pork this morning, and put it in a slow cooker with the juice I saved from yesterday when I took the foil off. We also poured in some homemade sauce. Oh, my! And even though I wrapped the roasts in foil first, they did take on quite a bit of the hickory flavor from the two large chunks I put in the charcoal pan after they were unwrapped.

It did take longer than anticipated to get the temp up to 170°F. I'm glad I bought a digital thermometer with remote reading! That was slick! With outdoor temp around 100°F, I could check the meat temperature while INSIDE the house in the air-conditioning!

The little tidbits I munched on while "pulling" the pork sure were tasty! I'm looking forward to a couple of kaiser rolls topped with the pork mixture and a large spoonful of homemade cole slaw...along with a homebrew, of course!

glenn514

Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
Olive Drab
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn514 View Post
Yuppers, that looks just like mine, Homebeerbrewer, except mine is black!

We "pulled" the pork this morning, and put it in a slow cooker with the juice I saved from yesterday when I took the foil off. We also poured in some homemade sauce. Oh, my! And even though I wrapped the roasts in foil first, they did take on quite a bit of the hickory flavor from the two large chunks I put in the charcoal pan after they were unwrapped.

It did take longer than anticipated to get the temp up to 170°F. I'm glad I bought a digital thermometer with remote reading! That was slick! With outdoor temp around 100°F, I could check the meat temperature while INSIDE the house in the air-conditioning!

The little tidbits I munched on while "pulling" the pork sure were tasty! I'm looking forward to a couple of kaiser rolls topped with the pork mixture and a large spoonful of homemade cole slaw...along with a homebrew, of course!

glenn514
Once the meat gets into the 150-165 range, it will stall at that temp range for a few hours and drive you nuts.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks, Olive Drab, that is EXACTLY what happened! And I guess you just have to wait it out, correct?

glenn514

Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
lex990
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are still some great info on how I mod these little upright smokers to where they cook like a uds (ugly drum smoker that cooks as easy as an oven). Search. Seal that things door and lid. Modify the charcoal pan and enjoy. Also. If you fill the water pan with sand. It will hold temp way longer. Lump charcoal will give you way longer burn time with a tenth of the ashes. Of using brickets. Google the minion method for charcoal

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Quick Reply