Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > New to the hobby! Looking at Brinkmann 57" Vertical Smoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 555 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
I'm glad you asked! I just took a couple pictures of it to post on here. I bought a temp controller, thermocouple, junction box, solenoid valve, and various fittings. I took the propane line off the valve underneath the smoker, and put a T, a needle valve to control the pilot light, a solenoid valve to control the main burner, and copper tubing to the burner where the original propane line was connected. The needle valve has a smaller piece of tubing to be the pilot light next to the burner.

I'm sure I did a crappy job painting a mental picture of everything, so ask any questions you have.
So do you just have on/off control to the burner valve, or is it articulated to control the volume of gas going through? If it's just on/off, does this have any effect on the ability to generate smoke from the wood chunks since you're not applying constant heat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

It is just on and off. There is constant heat from the pilot light, that I keep fairly large so it won't get blown out, and the main burner stays on for a while til it gets up to temp. Zero issues with smoke.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Good looking setup you have there. I too wonder about maintaining smoke. Is the edge of your chip pan sitting over the pilot light to stay hot, or how does that work?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #24
n240sxguy
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

The pilot is right next to the burner in the front. The chips/chunks are usually right above it.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #25
brewbama
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 4

IMHO go WSM!

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Once my MES goes out, if ever, I'll be going with.. Well, another one. It's almost mistake proof and 1. they have upgraded the unit, and 2. I'm about to experiment with other mods to it to produce very efficient cold smokes. $300 from Sam's and you get the same great smoke with 1/4 of the wood. One whole log will last me days of smoking, and I still get great smoke rings on long smokes and NEVER burn food. They are airtight. I use wood with charcoal. You'll spend less on electricity than you will fuel for any offset, as they are inefficient at best..

Now, I would go offset if I was doing whole hog or massive amounts of food. For that, there is no comparison to that design. For home use... MES can't be beat. Next time you feel like brining and smoking some chicken breasts, think about the difference between turning on an MES and gong through a handful of charcoal and wood chips or dealing with firing up that 57" smoker. You don't feel guilty smoking small amounts of food and it isn't a production.

Oh and.. NEVER cut the fat off brisket. Brisket is one of my specialities and I never have understood the logic in trimming 'some' of the fat. You still have a fat cap, any seasonings or rub still won't get to the meat.. Leave the whole cap and the bigger, the better. I look for briskets with full coverage of fat on one side, if it ovehangs the meat, even better. If you get cuts like that, after 18-24 hours of smoke it is never dry on my smoker.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Oh, for those worried about getting under 250 on an MES, you use an Amaze-n-smoker. Also, mine never has a problem staying under 250. It produces less smoke, so I add charcoal chunks to the wood. Not only does it produce a smoke ring on the food, it burns the wood when the element is out.

I don't smoke over propane for the same reason I don't grille over propane. It smells like ****.. Well, more accurately sulfur. Charcoal>propane. Even if that charcoal is ignited by an electrical element.

Quick Reply