Need help canning chili

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtkratzer

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a bunch of ground venison in a vacuum sealed bag and it was enough to double my normal recipe. I was going to freeze the leftovers, but my mom suggested canning. Everything is fully cooked - meat, veggies, beans, etc. I used canned kidney, black, pinto, etc beans and never messed with the kind you have to soak overnight.

Since everything is fully cooked already, how long and what PSI do I need to can the chili at? I would assume it would be just enough to heat the contents to "sterilize" the air between the chili and the lid and to let the seal pop in.

I'm seeing a lot on Google for canning from the start, where you don't fully cook everything, or canning things separate. I'm looking for a solution that makes meals easy - open jar, dump contents into a pot, heat, eat.

So, knowing that I have fully cooked chili already, basically leftovers from yesterday, what's my canning solution or am I better off freezing?

Regardless if the contents are fully cooked, I would think that the best and safest solution is to just can it at 250 for 15 minutes.

You know, this is a good topic. I have some soup recipes that my family enjoys but I don't always feel like spending the time and effort to make it. I could make a double batch and can some of it for later. Just pop the top and heat in a pan. I should try it.

Anything with meat in it should be held at 10 psi for 90 minutes, at least according to the USDA.

Even if cooked first, my spaghetti sauce goes in for 90 minutes then is allowed to cool (not quickly with cold water) and then set on the counter to seal and cool the rest of the way.

Botulism is serious business, and it's important to do it correctly!

Once it's canned, it can be stored for a very long time.

I did this last night. I did 10 minutes to purge the pot, then once the 10 psi weight started rocking, started my 90 minute timer. Pulled them out and stuck them in the garage to cool overnight. Seals all "sucked" in and aren't popping in and out. Canned 7 quarts of my venison chili. All should be good. I boiled the jars, ladle, funnel, lids, and rings before scooping the chili in. Some of the beans look like the skin has split, but I don't care. Still going to be delicious.

Glad I found this thread. I just sliced up a brisket for dinner, and plan to use at least 1-2lbs of the leftovers with soem chuck and chorizo in a double batch of chili. We can't always finish it in time so often give some away, but now I think I'll can a couple quarts for eating later!

I made a pasta e fagioli soup this past weekend and the recipe made the soup pot to the brim. My wife asked me if I was going to can it. Unfortunately we found a way to eat it all by last night. I'm planning on trying this next time I bust out the canner though. I think it would be a great way to have stuff on hand that you would normally have to prepare that day. There are plenty of nights where I want a homemade meal but also want to have time to get some stuff done around the house, or for brewing.

I've been planning on doing this with some chili and smoked beans but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm a canning junky. I used to grind my deer, but when I found that canning breaks down silver skin, and it's ready to eat or be added to something else, it just too easy not to do. Yooper is correct, but you need to do your own home work on how to can. If your in the moutains it's different than canning at sea level. Same for the size jars, it chages the canning times. When I make chili, it's meat, onions, and garlic mixed and cooked a little, then in the canner they go. The Blue Ball Canning book is good to have. And make sure to use a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker.

I figured I'd post here so y'all didn't think I died or something. We have not tried the chili since canning, but I think I'll get some out soon and report back, hopefully not from the toilet or hospital.

Chili was a success. It passed the sniff test after opening the jar and tasted wonderful. No symptoms of botulism or other food born illness.

Back