Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > My ribs need help...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I apply my rub the night before, then put them in a foodsaver bag and suck the air out. I have a brinkman snp. I take the ribs out of the fridge before I get my fire going, get them warmed up. In my pit, I have a stainless bowl I keep filled with water. Sits right next to the fire. I just throw my ribs on, and let them go. usually takes around 4 hours, but I cook to a temp as well. These are also baby backs, not St. Louis cut (not that big a fan). I do not, however, sauce them. I've on occasion misted a vinegear/beer mop, but that was it. I am not a fan of super sticky ribs. I'd like my dry rub and fire managment skill to shine. I provide sauce if you want it, but usually urge people to try it first. Usually only my brother reaches for the Sweet Baby Rays (hell, he puts that on Filet migon, so that's really not saying anything).

But you just need to learn your pit. Then you can play with the different styles and find what you like best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
I apply my rub the night before, then put them in a foodsaver bag and suck the air out. I have a brinkman snp. I take the ribs out of the fridge before I get my fire going, get them warmed up. In my pit, I have a stainless bowl I keep filled with water. Sits right next to the fire. I just throw my ribs on, and let them go. usually takes around 4 hours, but I cook to a temp as well. These are also baby backs, not St. Louis cut (not that big a fan). I do not, however, sauce them. I've on occasion misted a vinegear/beer mop, but that was it. I am not a fan of super sticky ribs. I'd like my dry rub and fire managment skill to shine. I provide sauce if you want it, but usually urge people to try it first. Usually only my brother reaches for the Sweet Baby Rays (hell, he puts that on Filet migon, so that's really not saying anything).

But you just need to learn your pit. Then you can play with the different styles and find what you like best.
you sound like you know your way around a pit.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #23
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBQ View Post
you sound like you know your way around a pit.
I'd like to think so. But I'm no where near any of these guys on the smokering or bbq brethren. I have however, gotten one hell of a compliment from a good friend. He loves my pulled pork. He travels to ATL regularly for work, and the guys down there take him out for 'que all the time. He told them "It's good, but my buddies back home is better." They were incredulous that "Yankee" might know what he was doing. I was stoked with that though!

My brinkman has a few mods, a baffle from the firebox (without it, the temp fluctuates by 100 degrees from end to end. with it, it only flucates by 15 degrees), then tuning plates after that. And I lowered my chimney down to the grate. And put in a log burner to get the actual fire going. This smoker was a 100 dollar pickup from Walmart about 10 years ago. It will in the very near future be replaced, and re-gifted to one of my friends.

I will say I finally started keeping a log of my bbq. Record pit temps, cook times, who ate what, their thoughts, recipes, etc. has helped immensely. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nevermind disregard the compliment now that I know your a yankee. :-)

Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
I'd like to think so. But I'm no where near any of these guys on the smokering or bbq brethren. I have however, gotten one hell of a compliment from a good friend. He loves my pulled pork. He travels to ATL regularly for work, and the guys down there take him out for 'que all the time. He told them "It's good, but my buddies back home is better." They were incredulous that "Yankee" might know what he was doing. I was stoked with that though!

My brinkman has a few mods, a baffle from the firebox (without it, the temp fluctuates by 100 degrees from end to end. with it, it only flucates by 15 degrees), then tuning plates after that. And I lowered my chimney down to the grate. And put in a log burner to get the actual fire going. This smoker was a 100 dollar pickup from Walmart about 10 years ago. It will in the very near future be replaced, and re-gifted to one of my friends.

I will say I finally started keeping a log of my bbq. Record pit temps, cook times, who ate what, their thoughts, recipes, etc. has helped immensely. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.
I also have a SNP, I have done the chimney mod, and a half assed baffle, I need to make a better one, and do the heat plates.

Do you have pics of your mods? or can you take pics of them?

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #26
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I also have a SNP, I have done the chimney mod, and a half assed baffle, I need to make a better one, and do the heat plates.

Do you have pics of your mods? or can you take pics of them?
i'll snap some on sat. Supposed to acutally see that yellow thing in the sky that day.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBQ View Post
nevermind disregard the compliment now that I know your a yankee. :-)
touche!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS