Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > My ribs need help...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agree with the cider vinegar. I buy salad vinegar which is close but seems to have a better sweet taste. Do the dry rub overnight. You are right on the meat. Quailty is a big deal. There is a bunch of stores carrying a "Natural" marking. I dont know if your stores have them in CA but if you see this get those.

Be careful putting to much dry rub on. If you use one that is heavy in salt it can backfire (cheap rubs). I use one (rib tickler) with is heavier in sugar so I can cake the whole rib. Most spices/condiments have salt in them so i make it a point not to add any salt. Your dry rub and wet sauce should work together in flavor.

----- Process ---

Cut to St louis unless i can find some already cut at the store removing the back skin

Use ranch powder 1 packet per two ribs first. Then cover with rib tickler. (tickle tickle)

Put in tin and cover and put in fridge overnight.

Get fire going in morning. I use Pecan wood by default usually unless something needs something else. I use it because it doesnt ever overpower the meat and is very safe. I get it going with a propane hose and brass gas fitting. Once its running at 230-250 for 30-40 min i get the ribs. If i havent run the pit in a long time, over winter or something I cut onions in half and open my pit and palm them and scrub the grate, then I leave them on during getting my fire running time. Sometimes I might even leave them during cooking.

Then put the ribs on. I run these for 3 hours or however long they need. During the beginning I spray to keep from drying or coming up from the bone. Then towards the end i try to put my wet sauce on them as many times as i can between drying.

Then once dry enough. I wrap in foil, then put back on for 1-2 hours same heat. I dont like to put them in the foil wet.

Then I take them off and open up the foil to check them out of tenderness. If they seem tender enough, I then get the electric knife and cut pieces.

Then I load them in a tin and cover with foil. Then I put back on pit and cook for an hour or more. Alot of times I might even let my fire die after they are on here for around 45 min. I do this with all my BBQ. It makes it to where I dont have to deal with cutting it when it is too tender and having the meat ready to serve makes it easy too.

* Alot of people say 5-6 hours for ribs in to much, but i win down here so who cares.

I can PM you my sauce if you want. I know it is more fun to develop your own. Ive been changing mine through trial and error for years. I used to do my own dry rub until I ran across this rib tickler and never turned back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Flavor can be tweaked ad nauseum.

Texture is a function of heat, time, and MOISTURE.....YOU AINT ADDING ANY MOISTURE.

Especially in that GIANT UDS, 2 slabs will get very dry. MOP, SPRAY, HAVE A DRIP TRAY, HAVE ANOPENED BEER.

Preferably all of the above.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not a big fan of letting rub sit overnight. Rub has salt and salt draws moisture out. That's why steakhouses don't put salt on their steaks till they are actually on the grill or right before they go on.

I haven't tried cider vinegar looks like I'll be able to today.

I'm sure any vinegar will do the trick and yield lots of flavor. I like adding cut onions to the vinegar as well.

Man this thread makes me hungry.

BTW there are some great bbq ribs videos on you tube!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

I like the apple cider vinegar because it's very acidic and I imagine it cuts into the meat better than liquids of more neutral pH. Anyway, thats my thinking.

I'm going to use a plastic spray bottle next time. Easier, I think, than dragging the mop.

Also, I'm not a fan of putting any sugars onto my ribs until the end of the cooking. No apple juice either. I'm not a pro like the other guys here, though: just my 2¢.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well, this time they turned out perfect. Stuck with the 321 method for now, but sprayed them with cider vinegar every hour. I think this really helped to keep them moist. Thanks for all the tips, looking forward to continuing to perfect the low and slow method!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #16
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you adding juice or anything in the foil to keep them moist? I normally never foil and do a straight 5.5-6 hours on the upper grate and spray with apple juice every hour.

Now that you mentioned the vinegar Im going to have to try that. It sounds too good not to

Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #17
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dry rub:
1 part chili powder-preferably ancho but a mix is okay
1 part lt brown sugar
1 part kosher salt

plus a bunch of:
cayanne
black pepper
garlic powder
dry mustard

Rub-in a few hours before cooking (overnight is best but not required).

• Smoke at 200 deg for abobut 1.5 hrs.
  • Wrap in foil and cook at 200 for two more.
  • Bring the pit up to about 275 and cook on direct fire for about 20 min to create a nice bark surrounding the ribs.

Works great every time fo me. Sometimes, they come out a little over-cooked by KC standards. They fall of the bone instead of requiring a bit of chewing.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Sky View Post
Are you adding juice or anything in the foil to keep them moist? I normally never foil and do a straight 5.5-6 hours on the upper grate and spray with apple juice every hour.

Now that you mentioned the vinegar Im going to have to try that. It sounds too good not to
I pour some apple juice over the top when I foil them.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #19
viking73
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I've never had a problem with my ribs drying out. All i do is a simple paprika dry rub then grill for two hours and then oven for four more. Comes out really moist and tender.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
sebs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I first tried the 3-2-1 method, the ribs came out way overdone. 2-1-1 is better for the ribs I get. I guess it depends how thick your ribs are.

Quick Reply