Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > My first smoked turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Hernando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default My first smoked turkey

I have been itching to do a smoked turkey for quite some time now. I brined it overnight in a salt water solution and gave it a good rub down with olive oil and some homemade rub. Threw it in the smoker @270F and spritzed it with spicy V8, red rye P.A. Came out pretty good, not enough smoke for me but the family loved it. Definitely needed more time brining. I usually go 24 hours on the brine but was cut short on time.

image-1864204660.jpg  
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks tasty, Ive smoked many a turkeys, but I never do a rub, the skin always gets tough and chewey, so its not really edible any ways!

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Hernando
Recipes 

I did throw a little rub on the skin but the majority went underneath it. But yes, the skin was a bit tough.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Toss in in a *hot* oven for a bit after you are done smoking it. The skin will crisp right up. If you do it right, the bird will not over cook. I have no idea how long, since I just keep looking at it (it's minutes not hours though). Pretty easy to tell when it's browning up.

Bob

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

In my experience, the brine makes the skin rubbery. I know lots of people swear by brining, but I have had great luck with dry rub and apple juice. I wash and thoroughly dry the turkey before applying a homemade rub. I pat the dry rub on as thick as possible. Stick to small turkeys - about 12 pound - and smoke at 220 - 250 F for about 5 to 6 hours until done. After the first 45 minutes or so, spritz the bird with apple juice from a spray bottle. No rubbery skin and the meat comes out extremely moist with a beautiful red smoke ring.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Hernando
Recipes 

I'll have to give either of these a try. I love to smoke so experimenting isn't an issue at all. I forsee a smoke/brew day coming up this weekend. I do appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

O'tega Brewing

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

I love smoking turkeys for holidays. I took a lesson from the cajun bbq'd shrimp bit & mixed my rub with some country crock. I then put that under the skin. Man,talk about buttery,spicy smoke flavor.
Another thing that worked real well was mixing my rub with some ale,like english bitter. then injecting it into the bird. That's another one that works real well.

Quick Reply