Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > More... BACON

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
viking73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, please tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #22
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Not really sure (embarrased to admit). I have an electric smoker and I simply plugged it in, kept tossing a ton of chips on it and let it go for 7 hours.

As long as you aren't "roasting it", I don't think it'll be a problem. You want to bring it up to around 165f as slow as possible. Trust me.

The new smoker the swmbo promised me has a thermostat so I plan at starting at 100f and slowly ramp up over as long as I can (honestly... Shooting for 24 hours ultimately)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
Bowow0708
Recipes 

ive made bacon a couple of times ive been using the ancient ancient technique with only using salt and some pepper and sugar. So far still alive! i dont have a smoker and have a tiny toaster oven, so after "curing" i slice as thin a possible, and bacon to the freezer! i find that streak bacon is a little not to my taste, i kinda prefer the lean bacon. also i make some mini slabs that i bake at around 250 for about 3 hours and then at 350 for about an hour and every 30 minutes i sprinkle brown sugar and more pepper and flip the slab to counter the saltiness and to ensure even cooking. but i may try to plain charcoal smoke with my open mini grill and cover using a garden pot but controlling the temp may very well be impossible. over here we never ever use electric grilling/smoking here it is just unheard of no matter what. and for my garden pot smoking plan i wil tryl fire up about a quarter or half of the grill and place the pot barely at the edge so it catches the smoke and some heat.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #24
Chesterbelloc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Weigh the belly. Then inject 20% of the weight of belly with a brine containing a mix of nitrate and salts. A little brown sugar in the cure off-sets the saltiness. The brine should be between 30 and 32-degrees on a salinometer (at 60F).

If a belly is say, 17-lbs to start, inject it until it weighs 20.4-lbs.

When the belly is injected to 20%. Sub-merge at least overnight in the same 30 to 32-degree brine. You can keep in the belly in the brine for at least a week. If mold and scum grows on the surface of the brine tank... just skim it off.

Bacon is efficiently smoked at 170F for upto 12-hours depending upon total meat weights in your smokehouse.

You might also like to try using a whole loin and also a boneless butt.

Quick Reply