Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Mixing MEATS (different animals)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
phished880
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
How about grilled breast of chicken under a sunny side up egg?

Something about that seems so wrong....
I had a sandwich like this at "the Great Lost Bear" in Portland, ME..... the name?

"Mother and Child Reunion Sandwich"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #22
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
I would eat a sunny side up egg on anything.
Personally I love a nice sunny side up egg on a bowl if chili for breakfast!

speaking of chili, I like bear and bison together in a bowl myself!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #23
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Damn AZ! That is rare info to be sure.

Is Elk as gamey as venison? I like deer OK, but I like strong seasoning with the gaminess.
Hate to be a PITA here, but Elk IS venison! Venison is the name for all wild game red meat.

And for all the people who think venison is gamey... there are two ways I've found to cook venison without the gamey taste.. High Heat over a very short interval (ala - rare to med rare), or moist heat over a long period of time IE: crock pot and stews... Smoking just covers up the gamey taste.

I think people tend to recoil from the thought of deer steaks or the like, because people always think they have to cook the "wild" out of it... like because it came from the woods it's got a higher chance of being diseased than the farm raised beef they jam full of antibiotics.... (but I digress) Anyway, cooking venison over high heat for longer periods seems to enhance the gamey taste... (and make it tough as shoe leather)

Next time you get a chance, prove it, cook one deer chop/steak... like you normally would, the other cook it for about 90 seconds each side over high heat...
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I don't want to hear about TURDUCKENS. Bird on bird on bird is not crossing any taboo boundaries, and the whole practice is horsesh!t anyways, for the same reason "stuffing" doesn't work.

The internal temp of the inner most thing must be so high that the outermost thing is cooked to HELL.
I'm gonna call bullsh!t on this....Have you ever actually COOKED a turducken, or is this some armchair quaterbacking opinionated bs????

I just roasted a turducken and it was moist ALL the way through. From the perfectly crispy skin to the succulent turkey all the way down to the center....In fact it was the moistest Thanksgiving dish I have ever eaten let alone cooked.

It cooked til it reached the right internal temperature, and it came out immediately, not a second more, and rested for an hour.

So if you can't make it that way it's your fault, NOT the turducken. And if you haven't even attempted it then STFU noob.

All it takes is a simple cooking trick of roasting it under tinfoil for the first three or four hours before fnisishing it off.

Here's what I posted in my thread when I made it.

Quote:

It tasted fantastic, and the renderings made for some of the most flavorful gravy I've ever had. And I have never experienced a turkey so moist as this one. We guessed it was the turkey fat had something to do with it.

What little bones that were were left, like the drumpsticks and the wings, the meat fell off of.
Does that look like it was cooked to hell on the outside?????

So bite me......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Does that look like it was cooked to hell on the outside?????

So bite me......
Oh great. Now someone's going to have to start another "apologies to Revvy" thread"

Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #26
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshrecat View Post
oh great. Now someone's going to have to start another "apologies to revvy" thread"
lol.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Hardly.

If you like Turkey BBQ then fine.

Moist? I never said it wasn't. Pork BBQ is moist too, but I don't want my turkey falling off the bone.

Still do Stuffing? So go ahead and pull your turkey and STFU yourself NOOB.

I like my turkey just barely over 165. EVER HEAR OF ALTON BROWN?

If your inner most bird is just done, and your outside bird is 165F then you must have cooked for 23 hours at 165 and most likely you will have food poisoning.

Thanks for exposing yourself as a NOOB Revvy. and your post could not have been much less abrasive.

Neither Pork nor Turkey can be stuffed, cooked to perfection, and have anything inside them cooked to safe temps without extremely complicated and lucky pre-cooking of the stuffing, bird, or whatever TF you decided to stick inside of it.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Even though I am not a red meat carnivore, I have made some meatballs for a carnivorous friend that were veal, pork, and beef mixed together. I think that's probably a classic "meat" blend for meatloaf and meatballs. He said they were mightly tasty.

I think chicken and shrimp go very well together, and have used turkey 'bacon' in place of pork bacon in several recipes and it's been yummy.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #29
mpatrick
Recipes 

I always mix 1 part ground pork to 2 parts ground beef when making burgers. The inlaws can never figure out why my burgers are always so juicy.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My meatloaf is virtually always 1lb each ground lamb, pork, and beef. I think that may have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS