The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Mettwurst

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
DrewBrew08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=Bigcorona;4041249]I use hog casings. My mettwurst is not really authentic, a much coarser grind than the real thing. Here is the progress so far. In the smoker for 30 minutes, needs another 90. Then will finish off in the oven to bring internal temp up to 155F.

You sir have the best looking smoker i have ever seen. How much did that DIY cost you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Bigcorona
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 54

[quote=DrewBrew08;4068504]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcorona View Post
I use hog casings. My mettwurst is not really authentic, a much coarser grind than the real thing. Here is the progress so far. In the smoker for 30 minutes, needs another 90. Then will finish off in the oven to bring internal temp up to 155F.

You sir have the best looking smoker i have ever seen. How much did that DIY cost you?
I think less than $40. New trash can, 3 wooden dowels, a meat thermometer, and a cheap hot plate.

It is not perfect, I can not get the sausages up to the required temperature in it. It does supply more than enough smoke.

There is some controversy over using galvanized metal in a smoker. However it does not get hot enough to pose a problem, and has such a thick patina of smoke there is no exposed metal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply