The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Meat Grinder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I've got one and it works well for grinding, but it is developing cracks in the housing near where it attaches to the motor. We don't put it to heavy use, so if you are looking fore something to stand up to heavy usage I would get something else. The ones they have been selling for the last 20 years or so are plastic, that's what I have, my mom's is metal and is probably 40 years old. I'm hoping to inherent it at some point, but my sister will probably get it. Maybe she'll let me visit it once in awhile. If you really want one for your kitchen aid mixer I would haunt flea markets and garage sales to find a metal one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2936 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
I have it, for a grinder it's ok...but the stuffing horn is nearly useless.
yep and yep.

For a stuffer, I highly recommend this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb...Vertical/H6252
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post

yep and yep.

For a stuffer, I highly recommend this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb...Vertical/H6252
Not a bad little stuffer by the looks of it. You could also go with a lever style stuffer if you only do larger casings (don't bother for snack sticks or even breakfast sausage sized links. ) they run about 50 dollars.

A third option is the jerky Canon, which runs about 30 dollars iirc. It will only hold about a pound or so, but would work better for small batches than using a grinder as a stuffer.

Even with the stuffing plate, another pass through the grinder yields lesser quality sausage opposed to having a dedicated suffer.

I have a Dakotah water stuffer, which can hold about 10 pounds at a time. I'd like to replace it with a Cabelas stuffer eventually. Simply because I can get a motor for that one. Dedicated motorized stuffers are expensive.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Warrior Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
wjbunton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Back to the grinder, I pulled the trigger on it and made up 15 lbs. last weekend, 5 each of italian, chorizo, and pop's breakfast. Worked great, probably took about an hour and a half to do it including mixing seasonings and a second grind to about half of it.

Bottled and Drinking: Tripel Play
On Deck: Southpaw Stout
In the Hole:

Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Congrats on the grinder. Grinding is much safer and easier if the meats are par-frozen. Before grinding, you should put the grinding attachments in the freezer for 15 min. to keep everything as cold as possible.

James

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That looks like a good stuffer. I'm currently using the kitchen aide, grinder works great but the stuffing atachment is slow and cumbersome. Takes me and the wife to make it work okay. I might purchase the Dakota if I keep making sausage on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK View Post
Not a bad little stuffer by the looks of it. You could also go with a lever style stuffer if you only do larger casings (don't bother for snack sticks or even breakfast sausage sized links. ) they run about 50 dollars.

A third option is the jerky Canon, which runs about 30 dollars iirc. It will only hold about a pound or so, but would work better for small batches than using a grinder as a stuffer.

Even with the stuffing plate, another pass through the grinder yields lesser quality sausage opposed to having a dedicated suffer.

I have a Dakotah water stuffer, which can hold about 10 pounds at a time. I'd like to replace it with a Cabelas stuffer eventually. Simply because I can get a motor for that one. Dedicated motorized stuffers are expensive.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
That looks like a good stuffer. I'm currently using the kitchen aide, grinder works great but the stuffing atachment is slow and cumbersome. Takes me and the wife to make it work okay. I might purchase the Dakota if I keep making sausage on a regular basis.
It works really well. Just make sure you use solid shortening to grease the piston.

The only reason I want to get a vertical stuffer is so I can get a larger stuffer. My batches require refilling the stuffer 2 times of I am doing snack sticks or most of my sausage recipes and 3 or 4 refills when I do summer sausage.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #18
PBbrew2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agree with all about the KA being not so good as a stuffer. Actually i dont think its a good grinder either. It kneads my pizza dough like no other though......

I got an LEM stainless handcrank w/metal gears and love it. I can toss the barrel in the freezer and control meat temps really well, especially when maiking franks with emulsified meat. Also, it will crank out a 5 lbbatch as fast as you can twist and tie off.

Quick Reply