Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Meat Grinder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
wjbunton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Meat Grinder

Anyone have the Food Grinder Attachment for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer?
This one

I was thinking about getting one to be able to make some sausage. Is it able to do much at a time or would I be better off spending a little more and getting a dedicated grinder? I am looking to be able to do about 5 pound batches.

Bottled and Drinking: Tripel Play
On Deck: Southpaw Stout
In the Hole:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

You should be fine with that for doing 5-lb batches. We have the same one and recently used it to process about 20 lbs of venison trimmings into ground meat and sausage and it worked great.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It works fine, just cut the meat into strips that you can feed into the grinder. I just made my first Kielbasa on mine but when you use the stuffer it works best with two people. One person feeds the ground meat into the grinder while someone else works the casing off the tube as it's being stuffed. Nice thing making your own is you can spice it the way you want and keep the fat content to about 30%. If I get into making it a lot, I'll end up buying a dedicated stuffer that is a press for filling the casings.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
wjbunton
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I will be picking one up very soon. I am very accustomed to making sausage and how it is much easier with 2 people. My grandpa used to have a large commercial grinder and I spent a fall processing deer with him. Used to consistently make 20 or 30 five pound summer sausage sticks twice a week, and that's on top of the burger, chorizo, italian, and polish that we made.

Bottled and Drinking: Tripel Play
On Deck: Southpaw Stout
In the Hole:

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I use a hand grinding meat grinder. It is an awesome workout for some good quality ground beef.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Johnny_Five
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbunton View Post
Anyone have the Food Grinder Attachment for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer?
This one

I was thinking about getting one to be able to make some sausage. Is it able to do much at a time or would I be better off spending a little more and getting a dedicated grinder? I am looking to be able to do about 5 pound batches.
I've got it, and I haven't made that much at a time, but I don't see any issue with that. The speed setting is at a very low setting, it's not like burning out the unit with the mill grinder at speed 10 or something.

The fine plate might be useless, depending who you ask. So far as I can tell, you want to run the meat through twice, using the coarse plate both times (I do this with all meats, not just for sausages). So run just the meat through, catching it all without casing. Then add your spices, mix them up, and then run it through the grinder one more time. Finally, use the SSA, and make your sausages. I've not used collagen, but found that Whole Foods sells lamb gut casing for about $3 for more than I know what to do with. It lasts well over a week in water. There is a good video I can find for you, using the KA, I like this channel a lot, for the few things I've seen, lemme grab it.

Oh, IMO, you don't need a second person to do this. If you have someone, that is convenient, and social, but totally not necessary.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have the FGA Attatchment and it does do a fine job. I just did a 20+ pound batch of sausage and it took about 2 hours to grind, regrind and stuff it all into natural hog casings. It will take a little practice to get the stuffing part to a comfortable tempo, but do not over speed the mixer and smear your fat. Most folks dont get the whole chill till almost frozen and work your meat slowly to avoid smearing. I run my Kitchenaide on the lowest speed and us all of the different attatchments when I am making sausage or snack sticks. The flat blade beater is great also for loosening up your sliced and marinated meats for jerky. It works better than a tenderizer. The FGA and The grater are great for chopping onions and other additives like garlic. The it all goes into the grinder with the meat, gets mixed and stufffed. then it all goes into the dishwasher for a quick canitize for the next project.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are only ever doing small batches, the attachment is probably good enough.

Larger batches are going to take a little more time, possibly require resting the grinder at some points, but will still get the job done.

I have a 1 HP LEM grinder, but then again I will often grind 2-3 deer's worth of meat in one go. That can be 70-100 pounds.

I can double-grind that amount in under an hour with mine. It would likely take you the better part of a day with the KA.

I also don't like using a grinder for stuffing sausage. It adds heat to the meat. Then again, when you are only working with 5 pounds, this is less of an issue. My smallest sausage batch is generally 15 pounds, and sometimes 30 depending on what I am making.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
StonesBally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would recommend against the KA attachment. I used one, and then a new one for too long. The grinding mechanism is ok, but it clogs easily and is horrible for stuffing. The two best things I ever did for my sausage, pate, salumi, making was getting a dedicated grinder and a piston type stuffer. If you are serious about making a great sausage then these are the way to go. Both of these upgrades helped me make sausages with better texture in less time. Now I only wish I had a larger or electric stuffer.

If you want a great source for almost all the sausage making supplies you would ever need, butcher-packer supply in detroit is great and ships quickly.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

I have it, for a grinder it's ok...but the stuffing horn is nearly useless.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Quick Reply