Madrone wood for smoking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggben

Reaction score
So I'm trying out madrone wood in my smoker. I have never used it before so I am interested to see how it turns out. Apparently it is safe to use for smoking although there is not allot of info on what the smokes flavors would pair well with. So I decided to try pork and chicken first before advancing to the more expensive types of meats such as beef or venison. On the grill is a Boston Butt and two chicken breasts. I'm not sure how useful the info might be to some of the users on here. But after much research on here and the web and finding nothing helpful. I decided to go out, try it, and report back my findings for those who might pose this question in the future.

Wish me luck :mug:

Ok so madrone wood is definitely a red meat wood it's very similar to mesquite and I mean very similar. It has a bite to it as well. It's a very low ashing wood as well.

Very low ash, and it burns hot, so you don't need as much. Smoke is light colored and it does not leave any soot on the meat. Very similar to mesquite but it doesn't spark and pop like mesquite does. I started using it because my property is covered with it, and the limbs often die on the tree so its cured and ready to use as soon as I cut it down. It makes an excellent bed of coals.
I have smoked Beef and Pork with it, and it has never overpowered the meat with smoke like some other hardwoods can. Happy to supply some to anybody on the central coast of California.

Back