Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Made "Pulled Pork"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

I threw some "coutnry ribs" in the crock pot on Friday morning, and by lunch, when I went to check it, I could mash the meat with a fork.

I had cooked it for a lady at work who's father passed away. I was worried it would be too soft, but she brought back the bowl today and said her family ate it all at once and loved it. My wife will easily have it that way too.

Sometimes the smoker is the way to go and sometimes it just takes too long. I'm going to fire it up this week though, if I can find the time. If not, then I'll use the crock pot again, but this time I'll keep a better eye on it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #42
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I did my first real smoking yesterday with a sizable investment in meat. I did a 12 lb brisket and two 6 pound pork shoulders. I smoked all of it with hickory and apple for a good 8 hours and then foiled and moved it to the oven to finish up. I basically let everything rest overnight wrapped tight in foil and covered with a few towels. I sliced the brisket and pulled the pork this morning before work and my hands still smell like a pit. I can't wait to have dinner tonight, and a few days later, and week after next.

I think dedicating a good day to checking up on the smoker is reasonable time spent given how decently you can freeze and reheat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #43
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I don't know where I saw it - must have been Good Eats or something - but I saw a device that seems right up our alley as homebrewers. Basically, it would fit over the vents on a simple Weber charcoal grill. It have a temp sensor, and when the temp dropped too low, it would open up the vents/blow in air to jack up the fire, and when the temp got too high it would automatically close things down.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or use something like that?

EDIT: Found it. This.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #44
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

i personally use a stoker unit from Rock's Barbeque.

Quick Reply