Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Made "Pulled Pork"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Made "Pulled Pork"

Brewers and cooks...

On Sunday, I sat myself down and grilled/smoked up some "pulled pork." Started with a shoulder roast of about 8 pounds. Applied some of our favorite pork rub, and then wrapped it TWICE in aluminum foil. Cooked it indirectly on the gas grill for FOUR hours, rotating it 90° every 30 minutes. Then, I unwrapped it, applied some bbq sauce cut half-and-half with water, and put it on the Weber. I would have liked to leave it on the Weber longer, but the internal temperature was over 180°F! So, I took the meat off, let it cool, and began to pull it apart...which was quite easy since it was VERY tender.

The mistakes I made were

#1...too long on the gas grill!
#2...didn't keep all the good juice that collected in the foil...could have poured some of that back onto the meat after pulling it apart.
#3...not long enough on the Weber...but fixing #1 will take care of that.

And we've got LOTSA pulled pork in the freezer! And it was YUMMY!

glenn514

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

No, the mistakes you made were

#1 - Gas grill
#2 - If you double-wrapped it in foil, you certanily didn't "smoke" it. But then again, this was on a gas grill (see mistake #1), so there wasn't much a chance of any smoking going on.
#3 - You disturbed the meat by moving it.
#4 - You basically "braised" the meat by cooking it in liquid. I just mist mine with a spray bottle with a half and half mix of vinegar and apple juice.
#5 - Agreed. I don't take my pork shoulder off until the internal temp crests 200 degrees. Then wrap in foil and towels and place in a cooler for about 40 minutes or until it's time to pull and eat.

MOST important mistake:
#6 - You didn't send any to me for quality control.

But hey, as long as it tasted good.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

180 is not too hot for pork shoulder. Mine comes off in the high 190s. It's done when a skewer goes in with very minimal resistance and the bone pulls out clean with a very easy pull with your fingers.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I was going to say, why bother doing it on the grill that way? If you're going to foil steam it, the oven has better temp control.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

man, I really need to start cooking some meats... all this talk of brisket and pulled pork lately has got me frikkin hungry.

Can anyone suggest a place to start? I am a complete novice, really. I can grill an excellent steak, do a roast in the oven, but that's about it. Should I get a smoker?

Tap 2:. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
Primary:. Sycamore Porter, Scottish Ale

Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

how handy are you? Build a UDS.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
180 is not too hot for pork shoulder. Mine comes off in the high 190s. It's done when a skewer goes in with very minimal resistance and the bone pulls out clean with a very easy pull with your fingers.
Yeah. That's a good test. I love it when the bone slides out really easily.

TWSS!

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Thanks, JetSmooth, for the input. I'll let it cook longer next time and get a higher internal temp. And since I don't own a true smoker, my old Weber has got to stand in for one. Maybe less time on the gas grill and more on the Weber?

glenn514

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Maybe no time on the gas grill and go straight on the Weber. Thing is, you absorb smoke when the meat is cold and only in the first hour or so of the cook. So if you put it on the gas first, you're missing out on your smoking opportunity.

I mean, I guess you could use a smoker box oin the gas grill. But why bother? Throw your wood chips straight on the charcoal.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on skipping the gas grill. That's all I have, so I cook my pulled pork in the house until I can get something to cook it right with outside.

If you don't want to do the whole thing in the Weber, then put it on the Weber to smoke for a few hours, then finish it off in the oven. Better than sticking it on the gas grill. And always smoke first and cook later if you're doing a 2-stage process like that.

Quick Reply