The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Knife Opinion - Kasumi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
Frankfurtvr4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You tube is blocked. Will watch this later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #22
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

spend the money on a quality sharpener. apex or wicked edge.

you can spend $500 on a knife, but it will be useless if you cant sharpen it. if you have a quality sharpener, you can sharpen a $10 knife just as well as sharp as a $300 knife (the edge may not stay sharp as long i know).

I have a Wustof Chefs knife, i aslo have a $10 Chicago cutlery chefs knife. when sharpened they both perform the same and are just as sharp. The Wustof definitly holds the edge longer, but it was also over 10times the price.

note: most knifes regardless of how much you pay for them are not the sharpest they can be out of the box.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
note: most knifes regardless of how much you pay for them are not the sharpest they can be out of the box.

The sharper they are, the more maintenance they require, so the manufacturers sharpen them to an angle that's suboptimal for cutting. Again, if you find this stuff interesting, you will love our HBT buddy Chad Ward's book.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #25
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2960 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 2503

OK, here's the knife I bought tonight. It shaves the hair off my arm, and slices a carrot like butter. I like. Might not be the Ken Onion Shun (which the guy at BB&B recommended), but it is very nice. Not a brand of knife I was considering.

I hold a knife at the back of the blade, and this knife is very balanced there. The handle is a bit weird, but then again I don't hold it by the handle.

Knife has the cool Damascas swirl.

Cephalon Katana 8-Inch Chef's Knife

Old 01-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
sourmash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have about 3 years on my set of Shun Alton's Angles and really like them. Once properly sharpened they are good for close to a year or "normal" use. No regrets after shelling out the a$$ pounding price.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I love my shuns but I didn't really like the feel of that Alton Angles though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
OK, here's the knife I bought tonight. It shaves the hair off my arm, and slices a carrot like butter. I like. Might not be the Ken Onion Shun (which the guy at BB&B recommended), but it is very nice. Not a brand of knife I was considering.

I hold a knife at the back of the blade, and this knife is very balanced there. The handle is a bit weird, but then again I don't hold it by the handle.

Knife has the cool Damascas swirl.

Cephalon Katana 8-Inch Chef's Knife

I bought that exact knife for my parents for Christmas. I used it to carve the turkey and it worked well but as mentioned above, it wasn't as sharp as I expected (still more sharp than any other knife in the house).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #29
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
spend the money on a quality sharpener. apex or wicked edge.

you can spend $500 on a knife, but it will be useless if you cant sharpen it. if you have a quality sharpener, you can sharpen a $10 knife just as well as sharp as a $300 knife (the edge may not stay sharp as long i know).

I have a Wustof Chefs knife, i aslo have a $10 Chicago cutlery chefs knife. when sharpened they both perform the same and are just as sharp. The Wustof definitly holds the edge longer, but it was also over 10times the price.

I need to buy one of those Wicked Edge sharpening systems! watched their video and looked over the site, on sale for $200!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #30
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My wife is a meat cutter now, but she used to work sous at a fancy italian place. I've used her Shuns, and they're really great knives. I wish she had the Alton's angles version, I hit my knuckles on the board when I use the smaller knives in her set. Wusthofs are big and heavy, better for men than women, I'd say.

Lots of companies make good knives, it's all about finding knives you're comfortable handling.

Also, there's a really interesting Good Eats episode that goes over knife sharpening and maintenance. Don't remember which one, but they're all up on youtube.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply