The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > I want a smoker...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
WeimBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The best thing about a BGE is it's not just a smoker. It may seem like a lot of money but remember you can cook damn near anything on it. Checkout eggfests and craigslist. You may be able to find one for $300-$400. I use my Egg at least 5 times a week. Gets more use than my stove/oven.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylee View Post
I love my egg, but would never recommend that a beginner--who doesn't even know if he'll like the hobby--start out by buying a $600 to $1000 piece of equipment. While the duration of burn and temperature control and convenience of the egg is great, I can turn out a rack of ribs on the old Brinkman barrell that tastes just as good. Get a low-priced unit that allows for indirect cooking, read up on brines and dry rubs and some of the recipes on line. Learn the old way, and if you opt to move up later to the Egg you'll appreciate it more.
True, but the Egg is a multipurpose outdoor cooking machine. You can grill, bake, and smoke with it. It's very forgiving.

If one loves cooking outdoors, one can't go wrong with an egg. Even if they find it is not a good fit they can sell it and get most of their money even years after since they hold their value very well.

Then again, if one is completely new, one can get started with a Brinkman Water Smoker for under $50. If you go that route, be sure to drill some holes in the charcoal pan for airflow and use hardwood lump charcoal only.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
davidr7283

Recipes 

I have a Traeger pellet grill. I love it. I had never smoked meat in my life, but when I saw the Traeger on display at Costco, I went home and read up on it then went back and bought it. Great smoke flavor. I've smoked tritip, pork roasts and chicken and grilled steaks. I even cook pizza's on it.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you are the DIY type look at the Ugly Drum Smoker threads/websites/facebook page/etc. I made one and like it. I also have a Char-Griller. It's a great grill and a mediocre smoker. People seem to like the Weber Smoky Mountain(WSM). I can't remember the name of it but I remember seeing a smoking baffle made for a Weber 22" kettle.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
jtfisher63
Recipes 

I'd start with a Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM). They are pretty awesome and perform well right out of the box. If you're like me you'll end up with an Egg though. I have a 18' offset trailer smoker, a Stumps clone, a WSM and a large BGE. The BGE gets used at least twice as much as the others combined at home. Now for contests, that's a different story.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

wow what a response!
thanks everyone for the info. now i wait till tax return time and make a decision!

Can I have your business card?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
Tabb
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

I got a cheap bullet for like 35 a few years back. I few minor apps and I can now smoke for almost 6 hours. I have learned I want a bigger one but I'll wait until this one isn't usable anymore first.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
roylee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first was a ten foot long tin-covered trench in the garden with a fire pit on one end and a barrel on the other. Now I use a $900 egg. The egg does everything the trench did, plus makes pizza crust.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reasonably priced & fairly effective: Master Forge Charcoal Smoker at Lowes . If you decide it's not your cup of tea you're not out much. If you get hooked then you can always move up or just keep bangin' out great Q with this lil bugger. Looks like the Palmyra store has one in stock. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Quick Reply