Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > I really want to be cool like all you BBQ guys.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2994 Times on 2948 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, they will also need some babysitting but doing the mods will greatly reduce it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/58778/char-griller-smokin-pro-with-firebox-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As alluded to earlier, the meat takes all the smoke it's gonna take during the first 3-4 hours. After this you can put it in your oven over night around 220F. Do not, do not, again, do not wrap it in foil.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
As alluded to earlier, the meat takes all the smoke it's gonna take during the first 3-4 hours. After this you can put it in your oven over night around 220F. Do not, do not, again, do not wrap it in foil.
Yep, and the colder the meat is, the more smoke it will take. I like to take whatever I am smoking direct from fridge to grid for the best affect. Don't dilly dally and leave it out for a while before putting it in the pit.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
If you are going to do that then at least do it in the oven on its lowest setting and not the crock pot.
i have done it in the oven at the lowest setting. the thing i like about the crock pot is that it doesn't let any of the steam escape and keeps all that fat in the meat. you should give it a try, it ends up being this really tender meat/butter hybrid. i've never had pork come out that tender.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The Crock Pot also doesn't drive the heat in the kitchen up.

Errr. . . . I mean "Crock-Pot BAD!" ;P

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
the foil (and the crockpot) will soften the bark and make it not as crispy, but if i'm pulling the pork anyway i find that i don't mind that. any other reason not to use the foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yep, and the colder the meat is, the more smoke it will take. I like to take whatever I am smoking direct from fridge to grid for the best affect. Don't dilly dally and leave it out for a while before putting it in the pit.
i've actually heard to leave it out for a while so the heat doesn't shock the muscle fibers (or some ****) and it keeps it tender.

i'm still pretty new, so i've got some learning to do. i love bbq though and want it to be as good as possible. its all been really damn good so far! thanks in advance for any info guys

Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Hand over your man-card. Crock-pots are for cheese dip and keeping chili warm.

agreed

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
i've actually heard to leave it out for a while so the heat doesn't shock the muscle fibers (or some ****) and it keeps it tender.
That works if you are grilling steaks. I leave mine out for an hour before hitting the grill.

For low & slow smoking, the meats are not tender in the first place, hence the low & slow cooking. The low temperatures will allow the connective tissue (collagen) to render into gelatin and melt over time which is how brisket and pulled pork become tender.

If you use a meat thermometer, you will find brisket has a plateau where the meat will sit at 150-170 degrees for several hours. This is where the connective tissues are rendered, then once that is done, the temp will start to rise again and at 195 the brisket is done.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
wilceaser
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bobby,
I have a used a Chargriller for over 8 years.
The Mods I made:
Large Charcoal Basket for the fire box.
Lined the cooking chamber with fire bricks and inverted the large charcoal grate/holder and placed it in the cooking chamber on top of the fire bricks.
This acts like a tunnel and helps draw the smoke and heat under the grill grates.
I also took some almuminum flashing, rolled it up and used it to lower the chimney to about 1" above the grill.
With the fire brick it takes a little longer to get up to temperature, I can start my fire and in about an hour I'm up to 220 to 230F.
The fire brick will act as thermal mass and help maintain your cooking temps.
I usualy start with 20lbs of charcoal in the fire box and 3 large chuanks for wood. I run a modified Minion Method (look it up), in that I use a little more little briquets to help get the fire up to temp.

Howling Beagle Farmhouse Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
- You can't trigger an SSR with 120 volts - You'll let the smoke out.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First time I did a pork butt I stuck a probe in it. I was amazed by how long the temp hung at 160. Once it finally broke through it wasn't long before it was done.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Quick Reply