Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > I really want to be cool like all you BBQ guys.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default I really want to be cool like all you BBQ guys.

I got myself the low-end chargriller with side box and thought I'd be able to smoke a butt overnight and only tend to the fuel every 2-3 hours but uh, no. Fail. I got some learnin to do.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
onthekeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There are some things you can do to that unit I have seen. I have a UDS as well as a CTO but never had a chargriller. With a little modifications you can get that unit to perform 100% better.
www.thesmokering.com has some advice.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

this may be sacrilege, but if i'm cooking over night and don't want to keep up with the wood. i'll smoke the night before for three or four hours (till i'm drunk and ready to sleep) then take the but up stairs and put it in the crock pot over night. from what i read the meat will only take so much smoke before its saturated. if you don't have a crock pot the oven works too if you wrap the meat in tin foil. like i said it may be frowned upon by the bbq gods, but it has given me good results

Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
this may be sacrilege, but if i'm cooking over night and don't want to keep up with the wood. i'll smoke the night before for three or four hours (till i'm drunk and ready to sleep) then take the but up stairs and put it in the crock pot over night. from what i read the meat will only take so much smoke before its saturated. if you don't have a crock pot the oven works too if you wrap the meat in tin foil. like i said it may be frowned upon by the bbq gods, but it has given me good results
Hand over your man-card. Crock-pots are for cheese dip and keeping chili warm.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
DutchMafia Likes This 
Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

haha. i do like cooking on the grill better, but i also like sleep. if i was cooking for dinner and i was awake early enough in the morning i would prefer to cook all day on the smoker. mmm, beers and smoking meat all day? probably my favorite thing to do. but i know that if i try to cook all night i will eventually not wake up and let the fire die.

enough excuses, man card handed over, sorry i let you guys down.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
isurf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Slow and cold. I've never left anything in a smoker overnight unless we are in a competition. In that case time allowed and quantity of meat go hand in hand. That said, start early in the day, prep your coal bed and go. Low temps around 200 f. Just stop by the pit ever so often check the temp.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
If you are going to do that then at least do it in the oven on its lowest setting and not the crock pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Use lump charcoal and add wood chunks for smoke. You will have less tending to do.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurf View Post
Slow and cold. I've never left anything in a smoker overnight unless we are in a competition. In that case time allowed and quantity of meat go hand in hand. That said, start early in the day, prep your coal bed and go. Low temps around 200 f. Just stop by the pit ever so often check the temp.
I do pork butts on the Big Green Egg overnight all the time. I use a BBQ Guru E-Temp Pit Minder which keeps my egg temp at 210 for the 20+ hours to smoke 32 lbs of pork for some awesome pulled pork.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Bobby, I have that exact Chargriller and the mods do help. As is, it's very hot at the firebox end and not very hot (at grate-level) on the stack end. The instruction manual says to use whole logs but I haven't tried that yet (I wouldn't know where to get good meat smoking logs anyway). TBH, I haven't smoked on mine much and still have some learnin' to do as well but some carefully placed HD alum foil can help it quite a bit.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply