Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > How about this smoker?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
BoundForBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How about this smoker?

So I got a gift for xmas of a smoker WOW that was a surprise. I guess people do listen to me...sometimes. Anyway it is this smoker Big Chief Front Load Smoker. Do you think this is a good starting point? I don't have allot of room in the back yard (more like a concrete slab) so a big wood burner is out of the question. I guess any input would be good if anyone uses this model? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

If it was given to you, I'd call it a good starting point

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have one, and had the little chief before that. I love it. I use it for smoking salmon, summer sausage, and salami. Also great for .cold smoking cheese and almonds. I haven't smoked or cooked any large cuts like boston butts, but I'm sure it's possible. One recommendation....keep the box. The smoker holds heat so much better when used in box.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
One recommendation....keep the box. The smoker holds heat so much better when used in box.
Are you sayin to run it with the cardboard box over it? I figured it was a good starting point just wanted to see if anyone used it. I'm sure the purists will say its not good unless it's a wood burner. Once I move maybe ill consider upgrading. Also with storage is this something I could store in the basement or will it "smell like a smoke house" down there?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Reelale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundForBeer View Post
Are you sayin to run it with the cardboard box over it? I figured it was a good starting point just wanted to see if anyone used it. I'm sure the purists will say its not good unless it's a wood burner. Once I move maybe ill consider upgrading. Also with storage is this something I could store in the basement or will it "smell like a smoke house" down there?
The little chief was a top-loader, so I just kept it in the box and cut a flap to load more chips. Front-loader I just place the box upside down over it. A friend of mine built a box out of 2" insulation sheets for the big chief, works fine as well.

Yes, it will smell like a smoker. I keep mine in the garage. Odor seems to dissipate with time, and the only smokey smell I get is when I open the box.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
RedHouse
Recipes 

I have both the Big and Lil Chief smokers. I use 'em all the time.

One thing to remember is that it's not going to cook your food. You will need to finish cooking it with some other means. If you're doing ribs, pork butt, or chicken...you'll want to smoke it in the smoker for 2-3 pans of chips, and then finish cooking the food in and oven, or on the grill. The smoker just doesn't get hot enough to cook meat all the way through.

We got my Dad one for Christmas last year, and he uses it quite a bit. At 75 yrs old, it's pretty easy for him to smoke some ribs for a few pans of chips, and then finish them on the grill, or in the oven.

I use mine for fish, nuts, bacon, Canadian bacon, cheese etc....

To store it, install the front cover backwards....so the handle is on the inside of the smoker. Then it will fit right back in the box. I store mine like that in the garage, and it doesn't smell at all.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have an older version of the Big Chief, which is a top loader. I store it in it's box in the garage, doesn't seem to smell until I open the box. I use it mainly for jerky and sausage. I've had it for almost 20 years and it still works great.

I'm sure I'll get some flack about this, but since this smokes at a relatively low temp (somewhere below 170*F) you really need to cure the meat first with something like instacure or prague powder.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Reelale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post
I have an older version of the Big Chief, which is a top loader. I store it in it's box in the garage, doesn't seem to smell until I open the box. I use it mainly for jerky and sausage. I've had it for almost 20 years and it still works great.

I'm sure I'll get some flack about this, but since this smokes at a relatively low temp (somewhere below 170*F) you really need to cure the meat first with something like instacure or prague powder.
^^^^^^absolutely.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post
You won't catch any flack from me about that. Something in there aside from cheese and nuts really should have cure #1. Make sure you at least do a little bit of reading about cold smoking and cures before you throw some meat on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

do you guys recommend any sites to read up about what all I should know before I crank this baby on?

Quick Reply