Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Help me pick a smoker!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
WayFrae
Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Help me pick a smoker!

So I am looking at getting a smoker. This one actually: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbui...0910/100660191

Do any of you have this smoker? Do you recommend it? If you don't have this one is there one similarly priced that you would recommend?

I would like to go with electric since it seems the most convenient for me but other than that I don't have much of a preference.

Drinking: Rodeo Clown RyePA | Robust Porter |Edwort's Apfelwein | UnPorter (Porter recipe without the chocolate malt...oops!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
aangel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got one for Christmas. holds the temp well enough. Not a fan of the fact you need to replenish the wood chips every 30 minutes. There's something called the "amaze-n-pellet smoker" that I was told to look into as a possible replacement for the wood-chip adding mechanism.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As this doesn't appear to be a full pellet smoker, I would just be concerned about the ease of adding wood. By looking at it in the pictures it looks like it's easy access. I'd double-check that. You will beat yourself up if you have to remove your racks/meat every time you need to add wood (I had one that did that at one time... it smoked nice, but was a royal pain in the pork butt to use).

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
thekraken
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have no experience with the smoker you linked.

I'm a big ceramic grill fan, though they are quite a bit above the $200 price range. Extremely versatile, I smoke bbq at 200* and bake pizza at 700*. I don't recommend those cheapo ceramic grills you'll see at homedepot.

On the opposite end of the price spectrum, you could DIY an electric smoker with some terracotta pots and a hot plate
https://www.google.com/search?q=terr...ta+pots+smoker

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have that exact smoker and I love it. I use it about 2-3 a month. Adding wood chips is easy. You just pull out the hopper that is on the side add the wood chips and put it back and turn it to drop the chips on the heating element. You can also get a cold smoker attachment that hooks up to that hole. I haven't used mine yet but it looks easy to use as well.

It holds temps very well. I don't think you can beat it for the money.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangel View Post
I got one for Christmas. holds the temp well enough. Not a fan of the fact you need to replenish the wood chips every 30 minutes. There's something called the "amaze-n-pellet smoker" that I was told to look into as a possible replacement for the wood-chip adding mechanism.
I haven't seen one of these drop-in pellet devices before. Sounds pretty nice, especially if you want to smoke your own grain.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Brettomomyces
#1 yeast whisperer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 111

How big is the pan for holding wood? I have a cookshack smoker about that same size and there really isn't any need to add more wood to it during the cook if you use the right amount.

My cookshack was pricier...it was my coping mechanism after moving into a small apartment that wouldn't allow charcoal, but hopefully lasts me forever. Electric smoking is great for the convenience, though there are a lot of purists that look down their nose at it. Which I kind of agree with...BUT, sticking a pork butt in at 10pm the night before and waking up to have pulled pork ready for lunch without having to do anything is great. No checking temps, adding more wood, adjusting baffle, etc

Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
WayFrae
Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangel View Post
Thanks, I think I am going to get it. It looks like a good one. I am happy to put chips in as often as I need to since I don't want to pay for an automated smoker like the Bradley brand.
Drinking: Rodeo Clown RyePA | Robust Porter |Edwort's Apfelwein | UnPorter (Porter recipe without the chocolate malt...oops!)

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
madscientistbrewNq
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can't go wrong with the smokey mountain by weber if you are willing to go charcoal. Stay away from the brinkman bullet style, you have to make a lot of modifications to make it work for you and even then its a pain in the !!!.... The 14.5 in from Weber might be too small so I wouldn't recommend limping in on something to meat a specific price point.

Electric is easier, but I prefer charcoal and will often go wood chunks instead of chips. I sort of learned my lesson from smoking. First year I just kind of went cheap but quickly I found myself buying the weber 22.5 the next year. I mean you can really go crazy and easily spend over 750. Now with brewing I purposefully avoided dipping my toe in the water. Like smoking meat I knew I like craft beer so I tried to buy equipment with the intention of sort of growing into it. With that being said I did just move away from the igloos and enter into the keggle arena.

Good luck, in reality anything will work but the question is how much time do you want to spend keeping a close eye on the temps, etc especially if you are doing a brisket and could be smoking for 8-12 hrs.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
RSNovi
Recipes 

Default Help me pick a smoker!

I also have a Cookshack smoker and it is a great quality product. If you want an electric, there is a strong customer base for Smokin-it smokers which are very similar style to Cookshack, but cheaper. I would recommend Cookshack, but if too pricey than look at the Smokin-it.

Quick Reply