Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Help Choosing a Smoker for a Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Richard-SSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

WSM is a good choice, but I personally prefer an off-set smoker. If you choose to go that route there are many regional brands (depending on where you live), so the brands we have in Texas may not be available where you live. The key is you want a smoker that can hold the heat, otherwise any savings you may have from your purchase will be wasted on fuel if you end up going with a thin, flimsy metal like you will find at Home Depot or Lowes.

You want a smoker that is thick and solid as it will hold temperature much easier. I have an original New Braunsfel smoker (before charbroil bought them out) which is made from very thick metal. I can smoke a brisket for 18 + hours off of a 1/4 bag of lump charcoal and 3-4 small pecan logs.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Even more great feedback, thanks again.

jammin, great video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
UDS' are nice if you are into DIY.

I do enjoy DIY (keggles, keezer, home projects), but the UDS would be more fitting to my family if it was a bit smaller maybe ~25-30 gallons. I expect these smaller sizes may be available as well, but I'm pretty certain I'll take the path of least resistance with a ready-made smoker.

I don't think I'll pull the trigger for a few days, so opinions are still useful. Again, thanks to everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #23
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I love my WSM. It's so easy.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #24
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I love my WSM. Under $300, easy to use, and I've gotten it so that it will go for 22 hours straight or more on a single load of coals. I added a DigiQ controller and now can even do overnight cooks in the middle of Wisconsin January.

Oh, and Mem Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, home Depot has a huge sale on charcoal. 40.4 lbs of Kkngsford blue for $10. I think Ive bought 180 lbs so far this summer.
Not that I'm going to buy it, but how does the controller work? Does it control temperature just through air flow?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #25
jeffjm
Custom Yeast Home Builder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Another vote for the WSM. I just bought one in June when I decided my cheap offset smoker wasn't doing the job. I'm still getting used to controlling temps by manipulating the vents, but the end product has been outstanding.

I set out running but I take my time.

Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #26
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled View Post
Not that I'm going to buy it, but how does the controller work? Does it control temperature just through air flow?
Yeah pretty much. I'm about to jump into it with my WSM. There is a fan that is mounted to one of the air inlets on the bottom and the other 3 are closed off. Then there is a temp probe that you put on the cooking grate and it's all connected to a control panel/box if you will. Set your temperature and the fan will kick on allowing air in to raise the temp. Once you're at your temp it shuts the fan off until it drops. Kind of like a RIMS/HERMS system in brewing using a PID

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Berliner Weisse, English Brown Ale, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee, Apfelwein

Coming Soon Double Chocolate Stout, Flashover (Red Ale)

BackDraught Home Brewery
Follow on Twitter @backdraughtbrew
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #27
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

^yup

I use a BBQ Guru on my BGE. I hold temps within +1/-1 degree no matter the weather. Sleep like a baby overnight. 16+ hour smokes worry free. SWMBO bought it for me for my birthday

Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #28
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 770 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled View Post
Yep, close two vents, and attach a little 10 cfm fan to the remaining vent. The DigiQ is connected to the fan, and it has a probe that you clip to the grill grate. If the temp drops a bit, the controller tells the fan to blow in a little air and stokes the coals back up to the right temp. Keeps the temp rock solid for hours and hours.

And it has another probe in the meat, so you can just look at a display to keep an eye on the food temp without opening the lid and losing heat.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #29
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
And it has another probe in the meat, so you can just look at a display to keep an eye on the food temp without opening the lid and losing heat.
almost forgot about that... my guru runs the pit temp down to a minimum once the meat probe registers set temp. overcooked meat... not even once
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #30
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 770 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Oh, and for the OP, DigiQ is a thing made by BBQ Guru - we're both talking about the same awesome little gadget.

Quick Reply