Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > First Brisket (on the BGE)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #21
SmoothSmoke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
Everytime you stick in a new hole you are letting juice out. Cook.it to temp low and slow and cut against the grain and it WILL be tender
Nope, no significant amount of "juice" will be lost by probing that would be the cause of a brisket not being tender.
As for cooking to temp, that may work some of the time, but will not work all the time as each brisket is different, some are ready at 198 others 210. You just never know, that is why most use probe tender method instead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #22
RhinoDon81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I cook brisket at 240F

I have a big homemade smoker that I use, so can't compare it to a BGE, wish I had one.

I smoke it straight for 5-6 hours, then turn it upside down in a large 4" full pan ( Flat is facing up) Cover about 3/4 of the way with a home made aujus. continue smoking till internal temp is 195-200 F. I baste the meat about every hour ish. let it rest for about 30-45 minutes, seperate the flat from the point. throw the point on a nice hot grill, baste with sauce to get a really great crunchy exterior. slice the flat pencil thin and serve with the point chopped up over white bread with some au jus.

man... now I want some brisket

Don

http://www.rocderby.com

Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 138

The brisket saga continues

I am ready to give this cook another shot and appreciate all the valuable feedback. I picked up a 14lb brisket this time. I plan on taking it up 195-200 based on everyone else's advice. I have a feeling this is going to be much better!

image-46858240.jpg

Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
jammin

Recipes 

A 14lb packer is a tight squeeze on a large egg.

Any guesses on how long it will to finish?

image-2742914936.jpg

Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually fold a bit of the flat end under, it keeps the ends from sitting outside of the plate setter and drying out of burning. I agree that 195º-200º is usually where you want to be temperature wise but its best checked for tenderness with a thermometer probe, I pull mine when the probe slides in with little to no resistance in several places. this is usually at 195º-205º but I had one that I had to take all the way to 215º.
I have cooked them at 225º and up to 275º and noticed little difference other than the time it took them to cook.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
jammin

Recipes 

@SuperiorBrew -
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just put the temp probe in this morning and I can see/feel exactly what you mean by "probe tender". The brisket is up to 172 after 10 hours and I can tell it is still quite rubbery. Funny that this is about when I pulled the last one; no wonder it was a little tough!

Here is a shot of it 10 hours in, lot of shrink;

image-1459094452.jpg

Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts

Looking good. I had a 19lb one go 26 hours one time. It hit two platues. Unfortantly with BBQ, it's done when it's done and not when you want it done

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
jammin

Recipes 

Well, you were all right when you said "you'll know when it's done". I pulled it off the egg @ 193 and it felt juicy as hell. No question about it, it was done! I was very nervous about "feeling" it to tell if it's done. In hindsight, it's quite obvious.

So it took just hair over 18 hours to cook, but my fire didn't burn as efficiently as I figured and I could have added a little more lump next time around. That big dog ate a lottery fuel than my standard smaller cooks. My fire died down to 195 by the very end even with the BBQ guru. There were some large chunks of lump left that wouldn't catch.

I'm using the leftover fuel for the burnt ends right now. Next time around I will trim better so I can make a cleaner cut on the point. I'm such a noob!

Obligatory finished cook shot after 18 hours:
image-342187119.jpg

Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #29
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts

Looks tasty!

Did you start with all new lump? If I am doing a slow and low cook I always vacuum the egg clean and start out with all fresh lump, any smaller pieces I either put on the top or save for the next cook. I have gone 28 hours at 225º and still had lump left. It could be the brand of lump too, I usually check the naked whiz's lump database and try to find some higher rated stuff.

Here is the review on the lump you used

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
jammin

Recipes 

I did start with all new lump, and true to the whiz;s review, the burn time on Lazzari is medium/short (in my limited experience). It does have an amazing mesquite aroma that is quite unique. Probably the best smelling lump I have used. Neighbors had to have been admiring haha. The Lazzari left a few "boulders" of lump behind at the end of the cook. I think if they were a hair smaller they might have burned better. 18 hours is a decent smoke though on a medium+ load of lump. I could have easily added in more lump but figured I'd be good for some reason.

Next time around I might stick with Frontier; that stuff always treats me right. Burns super clean and is very consistent. Not a lot of dust, not a lot of boulders. I can get a good deal on it at Lowes too - 10% off with my military discount.

Thanks again for all the assistance and tips. This cook went much better

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS