Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > First Brisket (on the BGE)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
StunnedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you pulled it at 175, that's why is was dry. You should get it up close to 190. At 175 the collagen hasn't started breaking down yet. After 180 or so that tough connective tissue breaks down like gelatin and dissolves into the meat. That's when it gets tender and juicy. Odd as it seems, it was dry because it was actually undercooked.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Dang - I always thought 150 was the break down zone. I did hear that in reference to pork though. Is there a difference?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin
Dang - I always thought 150 was the break down zone. I did hear that in reference to pork though. Is there a difference?
Pork is the same. It's usually 165-170ish where you hit a platue where temps will hold steady for an hour or so where it starts breaking down. I usually take pulled pork to 210 brisket or sliced pork 195

Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
ALF
Recipes 

It took me a while to figure out cooking a brisket right. I now cook the brisket to 190 deg F internal, then wrap in foil and cook for about an hour. Maybe less than an hour for a smaller brisket.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
marmonduke
Recipes 

I second the packer briskets and use the internal temp as a guide only. "Feel" for doneness. you're fork, knife, thermo probe will slide in like butter. I like to do them at around 230-250 and I've had them take forever and I've had some be probe tender alot quicker than others. You can get an idea about how long it will take but "feel" to tell when done.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The brisket I smoked yesterday came out very tender. I did the "Texas Crutch" (foil wrap) when it reached 150 and pulled it out at 195 degrees. Very moist and tender.

The point at which the meat tissue breaks down was very noticable when probing with the meat thermometer.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
marmonduke
Recipes 

I've had some hit 210 internal before and still tender. I like to foil once hit's about 160-170ish then put back on for an 1.5 hours or so. I had a couple when I first started out I pulled too early and it was a tough as a shoe..I thought I over cooked but in fact it was way undercooked.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 109

What I tend to do is pull the brisket out 190-195 and lay iton some foil I spritz the crap out of it with (whatever liquis you use) usually apple juice misture and wrp it up in foil then a blanket. I then throw it in a cooler for an hour to finish it off and rest it. Once that is over and one with I have a perfect brisket.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 05-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
SmoothSmoke
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Probe tender is when it's done not a specific temperature. Not all briskets are created equal, some take longer to get tender. It is best to probe it IMO.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothSmoke
Probe tender is when it's done not a specific temperature. Not all briskets are created equal, some take longer to get tender. It is best to probe it IMO.
Everytime you stick in a new hole you are letting juice out. Cook.it to temp low and slow and cut against the grain and it WILL be tender

Quick Reply