Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > First BBQ Sauce

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default First BBQ Sauce

Made my first homemade, from scratch, BBQ sauce today.

I started with a can of crushed tomatoes, mixed in a generous helping of chili powder, onion powder, finely chopped garlic, cinnamon (out next time), 1/4 cup sugar, and about 8oz of honey. I cooked it down in a pot for 2 1/2 hours. With about a 1/2 hour to go, I added a splash of maple syrup (more next time).

Anyone else make their own sauce? I know it gets crazy personal but some general tips would be nice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Brandonovich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't mess with trying to get the tomato base right from scratch, I just use ketchup. With my recipe, I use one whole beer for each batch, and I find it is the best way to change the taste of the sauce. I add Newcastle for stronger meats like brisket, and I use Killian's Irish Red for sweeter sauces to use on pork.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

I went back and forth on adding beer. The only reason I didn't was since this was my first time, I wanted to make sure it was at least semi-repeatable.

Don't fear the tomato, it was easy! I am off from work and alone on mondays, so cooking for 2-3 hours is easy on mondays. If you have the time, all you have to do is stir a lot. It's that easy.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I make my own sauce all summer - goes on every pork product that comes off the smoker or the grill. It's more mild than I'd prefer, but my wife and daughter are "heat" weaklings, so I usually just hit my plate with a shot of Frank's if I need more burn.

Mine is ketchup based...

Ketchup, apple cider vinegar, molasses (the key, IMO, to a sweet/spicy kinda sauce), beer (cheap Amerilager), honey, and a little "mixing" bourbon. "Mixing" bourbon as opposed to the good stuff - I like Ten High for cooking and mixing with Coke to throw in a water cooler for barbecues.

Lots of spices - I pirated the base of the recipe from a smoking website, then changed it over the last couple years. Garlic, onion, rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, couple others.. I can post the exact recipe if you're interested - only competitions I enter is with the neighbor when we see who can make the neighborhood smell better.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My tried and true knock your socks off recipe:

1 bottle of Kraft Hot barbque sauce
1 small bottle of white vinegar
1 stick of butter
1 tablespoon of ceyanne pepper
1 tablespoon of minced garlic

Mix altogether and bring to boil. You can cook with it and you can dip with it but be warned it is spicy.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
BARBQ

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah mixing the BBQ sauce cold works well too. That is how I do mine. It is alot of ingredients so it still take a while, but I use ketchup too as the base. I would post my recipe but keep it at the computer at home. Ahh hope it never crashes. I could mimic it close from memory but who knows right?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I make all my own sauces and rubs for my BBQ and for my smoker when its up and running. If you start with the basics you can tweak from there and make any combination of flavors taste great
Start with
1 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2Tbsp Mustard
2Tbsp Cider Vinegar
2Tbsp Worsterchire
1tsp Chili Powder
1tsp garlic powder

From there add what ever spices you want. Want a mustard sauce? up the mustard to 50/50 with ketchup.
I usually add alot of cumin, some fresh chives, oregano, cilantro. Orange juice is a great additive also.
I usually make my sauces per use. When I want sauce, I have a nice fresh hot, bbq sauce. If it turns out good, I write down the recipe. If its just of tasting, I dont bother writing it down at all.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

I love to see some recipes! Thanks.

I'm going to change a few things on mine, but I'm definitely sticking with the canned tomatoes. I like how thick and carmelized it came out doing it that way.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I used to make the Apple-Butter BBQ sauce from scratch at TGI Fridays but I can't remember that much about it, it was ~25 years ago.

I do remember the first step was some onion and lemon slices, plus some bay leaf, in a pot with (I think) some apple-cider vinegar and you cooked the onion/lemon until soft, then strained and reserved the liquid. Then you started building the sauce from that reserved liquid.

There was a TV show on the other day about Cattlemans and the dude that was explaining the recipe said 'tomato paste only', was the way to go.

HTH.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I dont have a set recipe, but I always use ketchup, cider vinegar, pepper, cayenne, louisiana hot sauce, a little white sugar, and salt. Sometimes some yellow mustard too. I Just add stuff until it tastes good.

Quick Reply