The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > First Attempt at Bresaola

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hmm....

Well, we're at a dump or salvage decision.

The meat looks fine, but after double checking the ingredients and looking up synonyms, the cure I used is #1 instead of #2. No nitrates, just the nitrites.

I'm not worried about Botulism since the meat hasn't ever been warmer than 36 degrees, but I don't know how long it will avoid rancidity with just #1 salt.

Does anybody have any experience with mixing the two up? Can we just enjoy it after a week of drying instead of three months? The meat has taken on a very firm texture, it's no longer wobbily like raw meat is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
Hmm....

Well, we're at a dump or salvage decision.

The meat looks fine, but after double checking the ingredients and looking up synonyms, the cure I used is #1 instead of #2. No nitrates, just the nitrites.

I'm not worried about Botulism since the meat hasn't ever been warmer than 36 degrees, but I don't know how long it will avoid rancidity with just #1 salt.

Does anybody have any experience with mixing the two up? Can we just enjoy it after a week of drying instead of three months? The meat has taken on a very firm texture, it's no longer wobbily like raw meat is.
I really don't know what to tell ya sir. Everything scientific I learned in my life was from my grandfather and he is long dead. Nothing here but a fat guy with a little experience and hard facts.

Cure #1 blows it's load right away, it's not meant for long aged meats. Now whether your meat is safe to eat I really don't know...but I'm a little paranoid and getting sick for a few days costs my company far more than the price of a hunk of beef.

It's completely up to you...but if I were in your shoes I would toss that sucker in the skip and grab a fresh piece and #2 cure and start over.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply