Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Filing Cabinet Smoker Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

I would think that a 55 gallon drum for a ugly drum smoker would be a pretty easy thing to score ....

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

I would think that a 55 gallon drum for a ugly drum smoker would be a pretty easy thing to score ....

Bob
It probably would. I was thinking a keg would be a fun smoker as well. Just thinking and researching is all this is right now, until I get more serious about this.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
bighornmountaindew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been trying to smoke meats for quite a while using my regular old charcoal grill and I have had fantastic results. This is possibly the coolest idea that I have seen for a smoker. We just set aside a few file cabinets at work, so I will try to snag one tomorrow. I am pretty excited to have a project like this and I am looking forward to smoking more! My basic idea is to take one of these 3 drawer cabinets and a firebox out of a .50 cal ammo can. I'm planning to take the guts of the drawers out and just hinge the doors. I've built a basic cooktop stove out of an ammo can already so I think that using it as a firebox will be pretty simple. Just plan on cutting matching holes in the cabinet and can and lining it up and bolting together. I might put a small piece of ducting between it to seal off smoke better and just flare it out on both sides. As soon as I get everything lined up I will try and post pics in a new thread as a project.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Take the guts out of the drawers???????

The ability to pull stuff out but leave it hanging seemed like the best part to me. Think about it.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
bighornmountaindew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All of the drawers had the little plastic wheels on them. I don't want to mess with that. I agree that It would be one of the best parts of using a file cabinet. I found one that was a two drawer that did not have plastic in it, but I don't think a two drawer will be big enough for me. I may end up using that one anyway to keep the drawers as you said. I gotta get on this quickly before everyone snatches them up!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lowes sells all-metal drawer parts.

Smoking would eff them up pretty quick, but get some industrial ones and they would last years.

Pull it out baste it with one hand??? priceless.

Quick Reply