Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Entry Level Slicer Reccomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default Entry Level Slicer Reccomendations

I am reasonably new to smoking meats and am seriously considering buying a slicer. I do not want to break the bank, but would like something that will hold up to a brisket/pastrami, bacon. or other meats/cheeses for home use. I can probably get my uncle to use his ancient yellowed plastic slicer a time or two, but am just as hooked on smoking as I am on brewing so want one for myself. What would you all suggest for an entry level slicer? Any brands I should avoid like the plague? Any that will last me a couple (3-5) years before I truly decide if I want to buy something that is bulletproof? Is there any maintenance (blade care, oiling, etc) or other advice you can provide that I should consider or know before investing in one?

If it helps I like my bacon thicker cut, but for pastrami and other lunch meats thin is the way to go. Let me know what you all think. I know I get good advice all around from this site so know you will not steer me wrong.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
prandlesc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you considered a used commercial slicer? I bought one from a restaurant supply store that was probably 15 years old. They had serviced it and it was in great working condition - a little beat up looking, but that's not important to me. It's a Hobart and it's rock solid and overkill for home use - but it works on ANYTHING. It does take up more space than a home sized slicer, but it you have the room and can find the right deal - it's a terrific option, IMO.

In The Barrel: [I] Russian Imperial Stout[/B]
Next Brews: Maple Pecan Nut Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 used commercial

Start perusing the classified ads for equipment and restaurant auctions and business closings.

Don't forget institutional equipment auctions like schools, hospitals, prisons, etc.
I found a great Hobart slicer this way for $35!

It takes time and effort on your part, but half the fun is the thrill of the chase.

How hard can it be?

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
2grit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Both replies above are right on. I process meat professionally and Hobart is the best. I find screaming deals on ebay and craigslist. You will always be able to buy parts for a Hobart. You'll be surprised how cheap you can pick up a good slicer on ebay for the price of a chinese one at the store. I own several slicers, both manual and automatic, and my favorite manual slicer is a 65-70 year old Hobart. Still works awesome

Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Thanks. I will keep a look out to see what I can find.

Quick Reply