Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Dat Gabbagool stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Dat Gabbagool stuff

Yup capicola, started it today and ordered the casings so they should be here in a few days, well b4 I need them. Thinking I gonna make a sweet style instead of the hot style.

So far the hardest part is finding a competent butcher who can figure out wtf you want... After 3 stores and a meat service I said fawk it and just bought the shoulders and cut out my own coppas (you dont even want to see what the guy at the meat service did to the fat back , guess I got fat for sausage now )

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/...rvest-one.html

OK anyway here they are, using just a basic sugar/salt cure...normally I use brown sugar but my back is hurting today and didnt feel like bending over to get the brown sugar

let them cure for 9 days then I'll post a update (yes this is as much for my record keeping as showing you guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Where do you order your stuff from? Butcher and Packer? I'm really lucky, they're a Detroit based company, so I get to run over there anytime I need something.

I've been thinking about a capicola as well. Are you going to spice it when going into the casings? What recipes are you using?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Where do you order your stuff from? Butcher and Packer?
yupper

Quote:
I've been thinking about a capicola as well. Are you going to spice it when going into the casings? What recipes are you using?
after 18 days of curing I'm gonna spice it up and then case it, tie it, and hang it.

Using the recipe found in "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" Going the sweet route instead of the spicy. The wife thinks ketchup has too much ZING to it :P

also ordered some starter and mold so will be doing a salume and peperon in the very near future

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

The mold is fun....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 686 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Alright, that's it! I'm ordering that book and curing some meat. Just what I need, another hobby tangent... The MRS is going to love this.

Seriously though, the only thing that worries me is where to hang the meat. Any suggs?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Looks good. I've always eaten capicola hot, but I'm sure it will be great sweet also.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

Seriously though, the only thing that worries me is where to hang the meat. Any suggs?
Look in this thread of mine to see what I did. The curing chamber build info is on post 9.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Look in this thread of mine to see what I did. The curing chamber build info is on post 9.
Thanks Rev!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
headbanger
Fast Loud Death
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's a handy tool for cold smoking too if anyone's interested.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

got a cool basement corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
ok So here we go . . . Was out running around and picked up some plastic sheeting and a humidifier (10x15 roll of 3.5 mil). Assembled myself a small curing "room" in the corner of the basement since I was having problems keeping my humidity at 60%

small 3x5 area plastic lined on 2 sides cement block on the other 2... right where I have the ham hanging (no thats not the humidifier)

Quick Reply