Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Check out this UDS!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 615
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Check out this UDS!

I want to start smoking this summer. I love grillin out and have been doing ribs on my grill. Time to step it up. I was planning on building something but stumbled across this http://www.whitearcsmokers.com/.

This guy is local to me so I can pick it up. This seems like a pretty good deal considering what I get for $200 at Sears. I'm looking at the Deluxe Smoker 1 for $175.

I should jump at this right? Any issues you see with this unit?

__________________
JNye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,736
Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
I want to start smoking this summer. I love grillin out and have been doing ribs on my grill. Time to step it up. I was planning on building something but stumbled across this http://www.whitearcsmokers.com/.

This guy is local to me so I can pick it up. This seems like a pretty good deal considering what I get for $200 at Sears. I'm looking at the Deluxe Smoker 1 for $175.

I should jump at this right? Any issues you see with this unit?
You can build it yourself at probably 1/3 the cost. But it is a nicely built smoker.
__________________
Reelale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 615
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

When I said I was thinking of building something I should mention it would be a ghettotastic offset converted Aussie grill. Something I would prolly end up trashing after 1 season. I don't weld and I wouldn't be able to paint an UDS if I did try building one. My time isn't free either. As long as its a good design I'll prolly go for it. I just want to make sure no one sees anything glaring I should know about.

__________________
JNye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,736
Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
When I said I was thinking of building something I should mention it would be a ghettotastic offset converted Aussie grill. Something I would prolly end up trashing after 1 season. I don't weld and I wouldn't be able to paint an UDS if I did try building one. My time isn't free either. As long as its a good design I'll prolly go for it. I just want to make sure no one sees anything glaring I should know about.

Just saying that I built one, and it was uber easy. There is a member here, dataz, that sells the complete kits, sans the drum, for a lot less. I would rather see someone spend their hard-earned dollars in meat. Seriously, do a search for UDS kits, or dataz.
__________________
Reelale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 615
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I saw that. $50 for parts. Then I have to source a drum. Build a big azz fire and burn it out. Then clean it. Now its uglier then sin cause I burned the crap out of it. The fittings will prolly leak cause I can't weld. No wheels. Does his come with 2 grates? For $125 more I can go pick it up. I know what you are saying and I appreciate the heads up, but for me, plug and play, or (load and smoke), makes alot of sense here.

__________________
JNye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,736
Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
I saw that. $50 for parts. Then I have to source a drum. Build a big azz fire and burn it out. Then clean it. Now its uglier then sin cause I burned the crap out of it. The fittings will prolly leak cause I can't weld. No wheels. Does his come with 2 grates? For $125 more I can go pick it up. I know what you are saying and I appreciate the heads up, but for me, plug and play, or (load and smoke), makes alot of sense here.
You can get an unlined drum. Fittings are not welded. But you would have to fit the wheels on, although I don't see the utility. And 2 grates is really no help, as you would be too close to the heat and would have to remove the upper grate to to remove the burnt meat on the lower grate anyway. But that is IMO.
$125.00 plug and play sounds like a good deal.
__________________
Reelale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 615
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I watched his videos last night. When i see the fittings aren't welded you are starting to win me over. I assumed everthing was welded, which I would like, but I don't think that is the case.
What is the lining typically made of?

__________________
JNye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,928
Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I am the guy that reel mentioned is selling the kits. I am not going to try and persude you one way or another but if you have any questions at all let me know. Either about my kits or even just UDSes in general. I have built a few myself and helped friends with a few others as well as seen hundreds of different designs.

I am happy to just see another UDS built. In my opinion they are the best smokers for the money there is.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
JNye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 615
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I've been doing a bit more reading on these today. Are you guys cooking your meat in these on racks as well? Thats what I was planning but in reading it seems this is not smoking in its true form. I'm okay with that so long as I am getting a good smoke flavor. My primary meats I want to cook/smoke are turkey, chicken, brisket, ribs, various pork parts.
They also seems to require a watchful eye as temp control can be touchy. How true is this? I'm okay with checking on it every 30-45 mins but standing next to it all day is not in my plans.

__________________
JNye is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,928
Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

The thing that makes a UDS so great is the temp control. It can go for hours upon hours without needing to be tended to. I try to make sure to check on it every hour or 2 but more often than not it is perfect.

I don't really know whay you mean about not smoking in its true form. Do you mean since it isn't a stick burner?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools