Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Charcoal grill not shutting down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBagRob View Post
You could always go the opposite direction and fully open the vents, take off the lid, and let it get as hot as possible to burn the charcoal away completely. This is usually what I do and it only takes about 1-2 hours for the charcoal to become ash. It wastes charcoal but I don't reuse it because I always have better heat control for smoking if I use all new, fresh charcoal.
that way is more likely to start a fire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
DirtBagRob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
that way is more likely to start a fire.
It depends on where the grill is sitting and other factors. I grill in my driveway and I usually finish at 6 or 7 at night so by the time I'm ready to go to bed, the grill is completely cool so I can roll it back to its home underneath the work bench in my garage. If you have to put the grill away immediately after cooking, you are going to have a fire risk no matter what. Charcoal only lasts for an hour at max heat, so for me, its the quickest way to get my grill cool while burning off the grate at the same time.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3686 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
My Weber Performer completely snuffs out the coals in an hour or so when I close all of the vents. I'll use the same batch of charcoal for multiple cooks.

If any oxygen is coming in around the vents or the lid, you're going to keep producing heat. You must have a gap(s) somewhere.
Ditto. My Performer is almost completely cold in 30 minutes after I shut bottom and top vents. Love that grill. FWIW, I use lump coals; I can shut the grill vents, coals die out, and I re-use the same half-burnt coals another day.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS