Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Which charcoal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #41
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
When I smoke it's low and slow, 230-240 is the range. That's hot enough, not sure what temps they are suggesting you smoke at?
+1 they don't call it low and slow for nothing. The only one that I have seen be successful cooking a brisket hot and fast is Myron Mixon. I tried it once and it came out the consistency of shoe leather so it's low and slow with brisket for me.

Guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #42
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
The cheapo Char-griller side fire-box smoker I have says in the instructions that for smoking, one should use hardwood logs, not lump/briquettes or chunks/chips. Says the logs achieve higher temps and you may not get hot enough with charcoal. I don't see logs at the grocery or Home Depot, does it really make that much of a difference? I didn't see anybody itt say they used logs.

I've just been using Kingsford and chunks and for anything other than short smokes ash build-up is a bit of a problem.
There are tons of mods for the chargriller that can improve the performance of the smoker dramatically. Just do a google search.

Guy

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #43
jetmechG550
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
+1 they don't call it low and slow for nothing. The only one that I have seen be successful cooking a brisket hot and fast is Myron Mixon. I tried it once and it came out the consistency of shoe leather so it's low and slow with brisket for me.
A friend of mine was supposed to go to one of his BBQ classes he offers, have see when that was.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I can't recall if they said a specific temp but they were referring to smoking meats and the range listed above is pretty well-known/standard so I assume they meant in the 225* F range.

Data I've done some simple mods based on google searches and posts in another thread. I never used it 'stock' so I'm not sure how much they improved things.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #45
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I can't recall if they said a specific temp but they were referring to smoking meats and the range listed above is pretty well-known/standard so I assume they meant in the 225* F range.

Data I've done some simple mods based on google searches and posts in another thread. I never used it 'stock' so I'm not sure how much they improved things.
What have you done to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #46
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Extended the chimney with hd foil, used hd foil to direct the heat coming out of the box more horizontal. Flipped the fire-box grate.

When I saw this thread I kind of expected several to say they used whole logs (an assumption based on the suggestion in the CG user manual). But I didn't see anybody say it which surprised me (not that I would know). I just wanted to be sure.

I took 3 weekends off from brewing this month and had hoped to smoke something but just never did. I damn sure didn't do anything but watch hoops last weekend. I'm gonna do some ribs this weekend but I just bought two 20# bags of Kingsford ($10 for both at HD) so that's what I'll be using. Now if I can just find that Apple-Butter BBQ sauce recipe.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #47
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I know of a lot of people that use logs and probably an equal number of people that use charcoal. It is really just a preference thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #48
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE=SpanishCastleAle;2765179
When I saw this thread I kind of expected several to say they used whole logs (an assumption based on the suggestion in the CG user manual). But I didn't see anybody say it which surprised me (not that I would know). I just wanted to be sure.
[/QUOTE]

I found the largest splits I could use in the the CG were about 1"-2" in diameter. Anything larger than that just smoldered. Not enough air flow even after adding more air intake ports. Soo, an IQ 110 is now on order. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #49
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Why does it say not to use lump? I have no problem getting to 750+ in my BGE using lump.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #50
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
Why does it say not to use lump? I have no problem getting to 750+ in my BGE using lump.
what post are you referring too?

Quick Reply