The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Building a smoker.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
jbay76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the definition dfess1. I highly doubt my apt complex will allow a smoker as they are just now posting flyers that grills are not to be on the patio,let alone used. I guess I ticked someone off

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
gb043075
Recipes 

Check out these links (referenced above), they have a great calculator for what you're looking to determine.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism...alculators.htm

I suggest a reverse flow setup with a plate under the grate(s) so smoke / heat travels down the length of the smoker and then back to chimney after traveling over meat (as shown in previous post).

I have a Lang 84 and love it. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay76 View Post
Thanks for the definition dfess1. I highly doubt my apt complex will allow a smoker as they are just now posting flyers that grills are not to be on the patio,let alone used. I guess I ticked someone off
ahh, that sucks. I couldn't live without a grill. How else do you cook your meat?? You can check out a book called "Fire and Spice". It has some intro stuff on smoking, types of cookers, then a ton of recipes. I haven't really worked my way through the recipes. I have a dry rub that I have been tinkering with, almost have it dialed in to make everyone happy. Another book that I would highly recommend (not so much for the smoking aspect, just good bbq comfort food) would be Dinosaur Barbque Cookbook. I own alot of cookbooks, varying cuisine styles. Like most, you go into them for one or two recipes. The dinosaur book, I have split the spine on it. There is one recipe in it that we weren't thrilled with. The rest are outstanding. It has recipes for cooking on the stove, in the oven, over a pit, etc. The "shepards pie" is awesome (homestyle mac and cheese over bbq beef), and I hated meatloaf until trying their recipe. I LOVE it, but only that recipe. Anyway, worth checking out.

Keep in mind, bbq and food recipes are guidelines (at least to me anyway). Try it the way its called for the first time, then change it around if you want (like garlic? add more!).

Next on my to do list is learn how to can/preserve my BBQ sauce.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info dfess1,
I'll look into getting those books. The disappearance of my grill is short term, I'm positive no one will care come fall when it gets too cold. In the meantime, there are a few grills in our courtyard i can use that offer a similar surface area, it just means I got to lug my home brew with me to cook....a minor inconvenience to knock out my student loans. But soon we'll be free of them and I get me a horizontal/vertical smoker to compliment a pit grill!!!!!!
Cheers
J

Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dfess1,
Incidentally, who is the author of fire and spice? I looked at amazon and found soooo many books with that title. Thanks again
J

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Dfess1,
Incidentally, who is the author of fire and spice? I looked at amazon and found soooo many books with that title. Thanks again
J
This one.

And this was the Dinosaur Cookbook.

I own both. Haven't gone through the first one all that much. The second one, well I've already said my piece on that one. a must have if you ask me.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
jbay76
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dfess1,
Thanks, that's the one I thought you were talking about and thought you got fire and smoke mixed up. It's on my wish list, as is the Dinosaur cookbook, which looks like a classic! What do you think of this book, and this one?
Cheers
J

Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Dfess1,
Thanks, that's the one I thought you were talking about and thought you got fire and smoke mixed up. It's on my wish list, as is the Dinosaur cookbook, which looks like a classic! What do you think of this book, and this one?
Cheers
J
don't know anything about these. The second one I might pick up, (or check out of a library first before purchasing). It really will come down to having your own smoker, and learning how to control it.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
izatt82
Recipes 

reverse flow is the way to go.

Kegged #1 Mild Ale
Primary #1 Munich Lager
Primary #2 Pale Berry Beer
Secondary #1 Spiced Cider

Homebrew is good for you.