The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > This Brinkman smoker?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
How do you like the Spicewine? I have been eyeing them up and would love one.
I love the way it cooks. With a BBQ Guru and a charcoal basket we can get it to hold temperature for 24 hours on a bag of charcoal. It helps us get a full night sleep at a competition when other teams are up all night feeding their stick burners. We do not use the water pan as I do not believe in steaming the Que. My only gripe is that it weighs 700 lbs. On the plus side it weighs 700 lbs because it is built like a brick chithouse. It may be the last smoker you ever buy.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I love the way it cooks. With a BBQ Guru and a charcoal basket we can get it to hold temperature for 24 hours on a bag of charcoal. It helps us get a full night sleep at a competition when other teams are up all night feeding their stick burners. We do not use the water pan as I do not believe in steaming the Que. My only gripe is that it weighs 700 lbs. On the plus side it weighs 700 lbs because it is built like a brick chithouse. It may be the last smoker you ever buy.

Yeah, I have heard nothing but great things about them. As it is right now I am going to just have an arsenal of UDSs but if I get them money will go with the Spicewine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #23
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Smoking a butt this weekend and found that my old kettle was so rusted out it was falling apart so I need a smoker for this weekend. I only smoke occasionally but also grill a bit.

Is this Brinkman Smoke N' Pit Charcoal Grill & Smoker (offset) decent for $190? They also have the upright charcoal and upright electric Brinkmans for $40 and $70 respectively. They claim the upright charcoal can be used as a grill but I don't think I like the idea of using the water bowl to hold the charcoal (seems like poor air flow).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #24
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Build a UDS. It will be exponentially better. You could build a UDS and still have enough money leftover to brew 15-20 gallons of beer for the same money as that one.

Quote:
I was wrong

Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #25
Frank-Likes-Beer
Recipes 

In fairness, not all of us want to build an UDS.

I was looking at a grill similar to the one CPA just linked at Wally World wondering if it would be any good. Any opinions.

• Kegged: Belgian Tripel
  • Kegged: Double Chocolate Stout

Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #26
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-Likes-Beer View Post
In fairness, not all of us want to build an UDS.

I was looking at a grill similar to the one CPA just linked at Wally World wondering if it would be any good. Any opinions.
I understand that but it really is the best solution for the price range. A WSM is a great product as well but will run 200-300 depending on the size. I have yet to see or hear of anything worth buying for less than that.

Can you produce ok Q from something like what was posted? Yeah, but it will be a ton of work to pull it off. A couple years ago I was dead set on getting an offset chargriller and people on bbq forums tried to convince me to not do it and build a UDS. I ignored them because I was set in my ways and didn't think it would be as good. Finally, I ended up going the UDS route (because lowes stopped carrying the Chargriller) and am extremely thankful that I did.

Are they the absolute best smoker available? Hell no! But there is nothing that can even come close to comparing to them in the $50-175 range.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #27
rodneypierce
Recipes 

honestly, When I do smoke something, I just use my weber 22.5" kettle grill. Put the coals/wood on one side, and the ribs or whatever I happen to be smoking on the other side of the grill. I put the vent directly across from the coals/wood so the smoke has to move across the food before it exits. Works great. Now on the flip side, you can do a beer can chicken in a weber kettle, just not big enough. But, since im allergic to chicken, I usually only smoke ribs.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I forgot about using a weber kettle. It is very doable but it has a very limited capacity and does require a ton of babysitting. Still though ,it is probably a better option than a cheap offset.

Quote:
I was wrong

Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
rodneypierce
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
I forgot about using a weber kettle. It is very doable but it has a very limited capacity and does require a ton of babysitting. Still though ,it is probably a better option than a cheap offset.
I agree. If you dont smoke very often, its a very good option. (with the limited space kept in mind) Plus, when not in use, you have one of the best charcoal grills known to man

Old 01-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
I agree. If you dont smoke very often, its a very good option. (with the limited space kept in mind) Plus, when not in use, you have one of the best charcoal grills known to man
Yup. Main reason I would reccomend the weber over a cheap offset is that once you finally decide to upgrade (which you will) you are still left with an awesome grill instead of just a place to store your bbq tools.

I love my 22.5 OTS. Hell, I want a 2nd one. The damn things will last forever too. The one I have I bought used off CL. The guy said he has had it for probably close to 20 years and it spent the majority of that time sitting outside. The cooking grate was shot and needed to be replaced but other than that it was in almost perfect shape.
Quote:
I was wrong

Quick Reply