*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Boudin casings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yea, you might be right. No idea. But it keeps working, so I'm reluctant to change it.
Come on, be brave... Next batch, do up half the casings the shorter method and see what happens. Or even enough to just make a half dozen links. You could shave a full 12 hours off your prep time that way.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Come on, be brave... Next batch, do up half the casings the shorter method and see what happens. Or even enough to just make a half dozen links. You could shave a full 12 hours off your prep time that way.
It's no extra time. Calendar, yes, labor, no. Next batch should be italian. Or hot dogs if I get ambitious, but I don't have the casings for those I don't think.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I just soak my casings in warm water, for maybe an hour or so, then I re-rinse and run warm water through them before stuffing. I don't treat the soak water with vinegar, although I do use a bit of vinegar blended into the stuffing sometimes, along with the water.

This past Sunday I did a batch that was half Italian, and half chorizo. The chorizo came out amazingly tasty. I might have to write down what I did for that one. The Italian sausages are very good, too, but nothing that completely blows me away. However, I have come up with a few ideas to improve the recipe for my next batch.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I just soak my casings in warm water, for maybe an hour or so, then I re-rinse and run warm water through them before stuffing. I don't treat the soak water with vinegar, although I do use a bit of vinegar blended into the stuffing sometimes, along with the water.

This past Sunday I did a batch that was half Italian, and half chorizo. The chorizo came out amazingly tasty. I might have to write down what I did for that one. The Italian sausages are very good, too, but nothing that completely blows me away. However, I have come up with a few ideas to improve the recipe for my next batch.
I'd love to see your chorizo recipe. Been considering that for a while. Maybe open a new thread in here.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Thank you all, I am going to use the pin prick method, next week when we have boudin for dinner. If that works then I will be making more. Just reading aout Chorizo, is making my mouth water. I like the course ground, so I never put it in casings. I use it instead of hamburger in everything but hamburgers. I love that stuff!!! Maybe I'll try putting it in casings and smoke it the next time I make pemmican. Mmmm, I am so hungry, now!

Quick Reply