*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Boudin Blanc is Kids Play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #21
CHefJohnboyardee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i don't understand your recipe and using trimmed meat, then cooking it and leaving the fat out. there isn't much for your emulsion unless the rice is overcooked but that kind of defeats the point of 'cheap' boudin... right? i haven't made boudin, i know i've read over some recipes but i can't remember the details. i mean with rillettes you cook the meat then cream it together with fat and it is 'brown jelly'. your recipe just seems on the dry side for it stick together.

but if you were happy with the flavor and have plans to make more, ignore me. i'm just trying to help. charcuterie was my favorite class in culinary school and i'm always itching to have an excuse to make something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHefJohnboyardee View Post
i don't understand your recipe and using trimmed meat, then cooking it and leaving the fat out. there isn't much for your emulsion unless the rice is overcooked but that kind of defeats the point of 'cheap' boudin... right? i haven't made boudin, i know i've read over some recipes but i can't remember the details. i mean with rillettes you cook the meat then cream it together with fat and it is 'brown jelly'. your recipe just seems on the dry side for it stick together.

but if you were happy with the flavor and have plans to make more, ignore me. i'm just trying to help. charcuterie was my favorite class in culinary school and i'm always itching to have an excuse to make something.
It's a bad recipe. Seriously, don't follow it. The sausages did NOT stay together and were generally a failure.

The only thing good that came out of it was that my son and his friend made them. They had fun.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've got 50# of pork in the freezer if you want to send them over and make me some brats

Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
It's a bad recipe. Seriously, don't follow it. The sausages did NOT stay together and were generally a failure.
That's too bad.

Quote:
The only thing good that came out of it was that my son and his friend made them. They had fun.
That makes it worth it. At least it wasn't a total loss.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
Wetfoot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Never been to Louisiana, but I love the food. From what I have read Boudin Blanc is not really a 'bound' or emulsified sausage. It's more like a pork dressing in a casing. The recipe on this thread looks very similar to every other recipe I've seen.

I have purchased a variety of Boudin Blanc here in Louisville made with raw pork instead of cooked. It has a texture like any other fresh pork sausage such as (non emulsified) Bratwurst or italian sausage. Rice is steamed, plus usual veggies and cajun spice. I really like it, and it is really good off the smoker. The raw pork binds it.

Perhaps a different approach will meet your expectations, but I would not whip a cooked rice mixture trying to emulsify it. I would think that the gummy rice would not be yummy.

As a side note, I have been thinking of taking a small quantity of cooked Boudin, maybe 1/2 cup and using that for stuffing a butterflied farm raised rainbow trout and cooking that on the smoker.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #26
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Flavor is great, but sausage falls apart when cut. I think there was too much rice / onions.
Coming from someon who eats boudin on a regular (too regular) basis, most of it will fall apart when cut. I'm not a real fan of the mashed up pasty style anyway, although I won't turn it down!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #27
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3374 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry View Post
Coming from someon who eats boudin on a regular (too regular) basis, most of it will fall apart when cut. I'm not a real fan of the mashed up pasty style anyway, although I won't turn it down!
Well, that's very interesting. It's funny, I made something that I HAVE NEVER HAD and then decided that I screwed it up, based on... nothing.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll not make this one again until I have some samplings of the real thing.

(BTW, made 10# of brats today)

Quick Reply