Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Boudin Blanc is Kids Play

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,458
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Sorry...no pics...Next time, I'll get one...Also, try a little milk powder. It helps with the emulsion. This is all assuming you can get an emulsion with your recipe. I'm no expert in charcuterie, I just know that I was told if it falls apart I failed with my emulsion.

__________________
Warped04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,458
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
what are you grinding in? I need to get this to a paste.
It's either a 60 or 80qt hobart. But we form the emulsion by hand. 2 people, 2 wooden spoons. Stir like crazy.
__________________
Warped04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,458
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Oh, and btw...Those are beautiful looking links. Your son and his friend did well.

__________________
Warped04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,504
Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
It's either a 60 or 80qt hobart. But we form the emulsion by hand. 2 people, 2 wooden spoons. Stir like crazy.
80 qt is 20 gallons... making a lot of sausage?
__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #15
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,458
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
80 qt is 20 gallons... making a lot of sausage?
Unfortunately no. Mostly bread comes out of the Hobart. That and ground beef for burgers. It's a special day when we can make sausage. Although part of the masochist in me wants to do a bratwurst special on the roof top bar.
__________________
Warped04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
JohnTheBrewist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 620
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

When I'm making emulsified meats, I just put it in my cuisinart food processor a bit at a time. The trick is to keep the meat cold while processing. What I do is take several cups of crushed ice and put it through the food processor first, so that I have a bowl of fine snow set aside. Then I mix some in with the meat in the processor (about 3 parts meat to 1 part snow). This will also add a little airyness to the finished product, and it will hold together nicely.

__________________

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

JohnTheBrewist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,504
Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierHerr View Post
When I'm making emulsified meats, I just put it in my cuisinart food processor a bit at a time. The trick is to keep the meat cold while processing. What I do is take several cups of crushed ice and put it through the food processor first, so that I have a bowl of fine snow set aside. Then I mix some in with the meat in the processor (about 3 parts meat to 1 part snow). This will also add a little airyness to the finished product, and it will hold together nicely.
Thanks. That is exactly what I will do.
__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
HPDrifter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 96
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Another tip when making the sausages is to spin every other sausage, instead of every sausage as your guys were doing it. Finished sausage... enough filled casing for two sausages, but pinche with your fingers in both places and spin. This way each spin makes two sausages, and doesn't mess with the twist in between. Hope this makes sense.

__________________
HPDrifter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,504
Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPDrifter View Post
Another tip when making the sausages is to spin every other sausage, instead of every sausage as your guys were doing it. Finished sausage... enough filled casing for two sausages, but pinche with your fingers in both places and spin. This way each spin makes two sausages, and doesn't mess with the twist in between. Hope this makes sense.
Hey, that's a great idea! I'm going to try that this wkend. Thanks.
__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
HPDrifter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 96
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

My dad used to own a butcher shop. I made a LOT of link sausage.

__________________
HPDrifter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools