Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > "Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #41
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It's a proud 1/8". It'll work well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is a link to a video for a BGE gasket install. Start about 4 minutes in. Its not hard but there are a couple of dos and donts when installing these gaskets. I think if you follow the same technique it would work well on the ash pan. It will also give you a good visual of the thickness.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #43
PeelSeel2
Recipes 

I bought one at Menards about 4 weeks ago. I do not have any experience with the BGE. I have researched the Kamado form factor. After using my cheap charcoal grill as a smoker and grill, I knew what I wanted. This unit fits the bill.

Pros so far:
Cast Iron Grate. Awesome!! Flavor savor!
Insulated. Holds heat well. Probably not as good as ceramic, but close enough for me.

Cons so far:
Need to make indirect grilling plate for it.
The rope seal has went 'flat'. Still better than nothing, and appears to maintain a fairly good seal.
The top vent was really loose. This was annoying and I thought it would be a problem. After use, however, it has built thick grease film which prevents from moving unless I move it. Solved.

All in all, for the price point this is an excellent unit in my opinion. I would say without any experience other than research, if your expecting the performance of a BGE, you will be disappointed. Their are some metrics the BGE has that will not be met by metal.

I use to cook on a GrandHall gas grill till last year when I bought a cheap ol' charcoal grill (didn't know if I would like cooking with charcoal). My gas grill sits forlornly by the side now.

I have even baked cookies one night on this thing. Awesome.

My steak and burgers where good off the gas grill, but they are incredible off this thing. It seems to maintain juice better.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #44
virtualfriday
Recipes 

OK I gave up and bought a gasket from high-que.com. I still say its a bargain if I can track down the air leaks.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #45
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i just bought the regular felt gasket. I didnt see any need for high temp one. I should hopefully be getting it this week.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #46
handbilt
Recipes 

I bought the big red kamado cooked last week. It works great, just slow reacting and hard to bring temp down after being above 500 deg. I have smoked with it mantaining 230 deg. I suggest getting a high temp gasket for the ash pan. I have had mine hot enough to discolor the ash pan while searing steaks.

Great grill for the money!

Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #47
PeelSeel2
Recipes 

I have had a lot of problems trying to get this thing down to a temperature of 180-190 and maintain it. I want to make my brisket again. With my old cheap charcoal grill, I could do it. It was a bit of a process, but it turned out excellent.

I finally got this thing to 180-190 for an extended period of time. I cut out the bottom of small clay pot and put it in the middle of the bottom, so when I open it to put more fuel in it, it goes to the pot. With the pot, I am able to keep the fuel together and use less. With about for 4-6 pieces of charcoal with this setup, I got the temperature where I wanted and was able to add fuel later.

Now I just have to make a racking system for my brisket and I should be good to go....

I have not had problems with the bottom gasket. It gets really hot down their, but it seems to hold up. The upper gasket too is holding up well.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #48
virtualfriday
Recipes 

OK got the hightemp gasket installed....... Better temp control but still cant get it below 400 with everything shut down. Each time after I use it I shut down all the vents but it keeps on cooking til the charcoal is gone. Any Weber charcoal grill I have had easily shuts down shortly after the vents are closed.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #49
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualfriday View Post
OK got the hightemp gasket installed....... Better temp control but still cant get it below 400 with everything shut down. Each time after I use it I shut down all the vents but it keeps on cooking til the charcoal is gone. Any Weber charcoal grill I have had easily shuts down shortly after the vents are closed.
That is some kind of major leak. How does the dome set on the base, any chance that it is off somehow and there is a leak there?

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #50
PeelSeel2
Recipes 

Mine is stock for gaskets, etc. I had the problem of the coal burning all the way down too. I took a small washer and put it on top so it prevents the vent spring from going halfway into the screw hole. It tightened it up fine. I also too to spraying the vent with Pam to get a thick layer of grease built up. Coals do not burn down now! When I close both vents, it goes out.

On a side note, I am now able to regulate the temperature down to 150-190 for several hours. I bought a smaller Weber rack to put down in the fire box, cut hole in middle. I can now put a pan between the fire and the cast iron grate. I have my first briskett cooking as I write! The pan I fill with water.

Quick Reply