Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > "Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #31
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
Finally saw one today, it looked alright and I couldn't tell if the fit when the lid was shut was a little off because it may have been put together sort of halfassed as a floor display or what it was. The little latch to pull the lid down seemed a bit odd too but I guess since it wasn't really all that heavy needed something to help seal it.
I appreciate you taking the time to post. The fact that the company did not have any parts and that I coudn't find a thing out about it worried me a little. Now that I've heard some of what you are dealing with I decided to return mine. We ended up buying another BGE for our cabin. It was twice the price but I know what I'm getting.

I realize you have already used the cooker, but would it be worth talking to your local Menards or the directly with the company? At those temps you are not able to use it as it was advertised.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #32
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to post. The fact that the company did not have any parts and that I coudn't find a thing out about it worried me a little. Now that I've heard some of what you are dealing with I decided to return mine. We ended up buying another BGE for our cabin. It was twice the price but I know what I'm getting.

I realize you have already used the cooker, but would it be worth talking to your local Menards or the directly with the company? At those temps you are not able to use it as it was advertised.
I didn't buy one, I just saw it in the store. Menards though, is like Walmart, they will take just about anything back LOL

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #33
reichmeats
Recipes 

Default I'm not buying one

I was set on one of these but am also holding off. I can see how it can get too hot considering the vents are weak. I don't want to think of ways to modify it, might as well buy an egg that I can use without messing with it.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #34
Walkabout
Recipes 

I just got my Menards Catalog flyer by email, the Big Red is on sale for $279!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #35
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualfriday View Post
Used it again and once I got the charcoal started up could not get it to drop below 400, must have multiple air leaks. Once again after I was done cooking I shut it down all they way with the top+bottom vent latched the lid shut and an hour later it was still around 400.
I have the same issue with mine... I just bought it today. The charcoal ash pan has a decent gap on the front of mine... I belive thats where the air is rushing in. I dont see this thing getting below 350 though. Kinda blows

Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #36
reichmeats
Recipes 

Default use minimal coal

How much coal is being used? Are you putting it in white hot? Can less coal be used and then closing the lid while only a portion of the coal is hot? I'm just thinking of some things my bge friend does.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
I have the same issue with mine... I just bought it today. The charcoal ash pan has a decent gap on the front of mine... I belive thats where the air is rushing in. I dont see this thing getting below 350 though. Kinda blows
I'd pick up a big green egg gasket (self stick kind) and run it around the top of the ashpan. I think there would be enough surface to fix the leak.
bgegasket.jpg   img_8034.jpg  

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
virtualfriday
Recipes 

I was thinking a big bead of high temp silicone?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #39
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Definately go with the gasket material. The silicone wont last after repeated ash tray removal. Its BS that this new grill is so leaky! I saw one at Menards this week and it seemed relatively sturdy. I did notice that the top damper was flimsy and didn't seal well though. The manufacturer needs to go back to the drawing board. I'd return it if it were mine.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #40
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I ordered a BGE gasket last night... Well see how this goes. How thick is it?

Quick Reply