Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > "Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They emailed me today as well. They do not actually have the covers yet so everything is on order/backorder. I sent the guys at the BBQ Guru the measurements for the bottom vent and they are going to get back to me about an adapter.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The problem I see is that it's enameled like most kettle grills and when it chips it's gonna start to rust. So I'd guess it'll last 5-10 years like a weber. Actually, the grill industry claims that most grills only last 3 yrs. But I'll assume it's built pretty well since I haven't actually seen it. Obviously it allows many more people to experience the awesomeness that is a kamado style grill, but for my money I think I'd invest in a kamado that'll last a lifetime like a BGE or my favorite a Kamado Joe.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #13
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I love that it has cast iron grates, I can't believe the others don't include it.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #14
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm looking forward to giving it a try and comparing it to the BGE. We will use this guy about 4 months out of the year and the other eight months he will live inside. So assuming the 3 to 5 year prediction is based on grills that live outside year round I'll hope than means I get 10 or 15 years out it .

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I totally agree, and it's seems your situation is unique; and you have a BGE to compare with. I'm just thinking out loud. I wonder why Menards stopped selling the Bubba Keg? Perhaps it was simply a business decision. Good luck with it and keep us posted when you start using it.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
virtualfriday
Recipes 

I bought one about a 2 weeks ago after seeing it a couple times at Menards. I looked high and low on the web for info and finally found this thread.
Assembly was pretty easy but the fit was not very tight between the ash pan and Kamado bottom. It latched tight but I could still see a small amount light coming in, maybe my ash pan is warped?
I started it up anyway and got it extra hot to burn it in for about an hour and then tried to damper it down with the vents but they had little effect on reducing the temp. I was hoping that it would be like my Weber Smokey Mountain and quickly respond to any damper changes, nope. Now its back to winter in SD so I have not had another chance to use it. The top vent needs to be tighter as it blows around in the slightest breeze, I will ad a washer to fix that.
So the jury is still out for mine.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well that is not what I wanted to hear. Big Green Egg sells a high temperature gasket for the lid. If you glued the gasket to the ashpan I wonder if that would be enough to seal any leaks?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
virtualfriday
Recipes 

I considered that also, but I was thinking a high temp stove gasket. The ash pan seal is wide but very thin and should be easy to modify. I plan to call the company and request another ash pan when I have a chance.

Even with the problems I think there is something neat about the grille that I like, its got character.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have not put mine together yet but I did take a look at the parts. I sent the company an email because I noticed a cracked piece of plastic on the slide handle. I was also curious about the cover listed in the manual. They emailed back saying that because the grill was so new they didn't have parts yet. She promised to send a replacement and a cover as soon as the parts were in. I'm a bit torn on what to do. We have a grill at our cabin and I was really looking to pick up something I could use as an outdoor oven and smoker. I have a BBQ Guru for my BGE and also contacted them to find out about getting an adapter but of course they have not heard of this grill either so I've not heard back yet about the cost of having something made.

Good luck with the seal. I'd really like to hear if you have success and are able to get control over the low temps.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #20
virtualfriday
Recipes 

It should warm up around here later in the week so I should have another chance to fire it up. I will report back here with my thoughts.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS